Light-O-Rama Forums

What Did You Get Done Today?

Guest wbottomley

I have an LED projector in the middle of the Truss, two moving yoke lights on the ends, snow machine up top in the middle and snowflakes coming down on each side AND 6 CCR's across the front for icing on the cake !! Using the CCR's for text, color patterns, radio tune to sign and pictures. hope it all works out as planned !

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Santas Helper

• plasmadrive

• dgrant

• 75redman

I don't normally start setup until November but couldn't pass up the good weather today. Got all the roof clips up (but not the lights yet). Built a new frame to hang our spinning star from and set it up. Started putting some inconspicuous lights up in some trees and shrubs. Now I have the set-up bug!

You guys replace all the bad bulbs in your strings!?! I never did or considered doing that, I assumed branding with "If one bulb goes out the rest stay lit" means its fine to leave the bad bulbs in... Oh man, maybe thats why my lights only last around three years :)

Where can I order replacements, or is it cheaper to just buy a box of 100ct's from the store?

You guys replace all the bad bulbs in your strings!?! I never did or considered doing that, I assumed branding with "If one bulb goes out the rest stay lit" means its fine to leave the bad bulbs in... Oh man, maybe thats why my lights only last around three years :)

Where can I order replacements, or is it cheaper to just buy a box of 100ct's from the store?

LOL are you serious? :)

Each bulb "shares" the voltage. As each bulb burns out, it on longer takes its "share" of voltage and the others get a little more. Once 2 or 3 burn out you're now overvoltaging all the other bulbs in the series, and they'll burn out faster, and the problem cascades...

Here`s the leaping deer i put up today.

Great...I have some of those I haven't used in three years...Now I have an idea for them...I'm gonna need another controller...

As to what I got done today:

Worked on a singing pumpkin face in pegboard, took way longer than I thought to outline the first 130 lights...priced out what I need for an 8' spiral tree, did some grocery shopping, had a couple beers...and foolishly looked at this board and found new and exciting things to do with decorations I had no plan to use... :)

LOL are you serious? :)

Each bulb "shares" the voltage. As each bulb burns out, it on longer takes its "share" of voltage and the others get a little more. Once 2 or 3 burn out you're now overvoltaging all the other bulbs in the series, and they'll burn out faster, and the problem cascades...

Wow, any place you can recommend some replacements... I got to get to work!

Installed a second CAT5 run from the computer to the outside for my aux network. Plan to use this for my CCR's. Also put up all the plastic hooks for my icicle lights.

Burnt out my Axeworthy ghost motor, so now it's off to the sewing maching store to see if they have a quick and dirty replacement...

Found out yesterday I'm going to have to change radio frequency.

Don't wait until the last minutes and find out you have to change frequency.

Check it now.

Luckily I just have to move some lights on the last digit (a three to a five).

Thomas

Wow, any place you can recommend some replacements... I got to get to work!

You can usually find carded packs wherever incans are sold, but the best value is to just canabalize them from a new string. for the cost of a new string. You get 102 lights (100 + a couple bagged spares) for a few cents a bulb. The carded packs are usually 5-10 for $1, so do the math :)

Found out yesterday I'm going to have to change radio frequency.

Don't wait until the last minutes and find out you have to change frequency.

Check it now.

Luckily I just have to move some lights on the last digit (a three to a five).

Thomas

I'm in the same boat. Turned on my car radio to find a radio station on my frequency. Did a Google Search for the call sign but could not find anything about it, so it could be an illegal station, but in any case, I'm moving. Just need to find an open frequency, change my sign, and look at changing my voiceovers. I agree with not waiting till the last minute.

Got my Holiday Coro "Tune To" sign done and mounted on a frame, started the support frames for my snowflakes, and started on the frames for my 10 mini trees. I hoped to have all of those things done but ended up spending a lot of time replacing a bathroom faucet and drain instead...

This is my first year having any sort of display at all.

Saturday was the 1st day I was able connect all channels and all controllers and see if it was all going to work.

I guess I did something right....

3 LOR 16-Channel Controllers

1 Sandevices e681

All work without any problems! ( I did realize that I mis-labeled some cords though)

I've spent the last week putting "De-Ox" compound on ALL my removable LED bulb strings. Only got about 1100 more to go. I think this is the MOST

monotonous rhing I've ever done in 52 years :blink:

Tom Straub

I got my completed donation box back in my possession. I take no credit for the work on the box. I had a lot of caring people volunteer their time and labor to develop it for our display. We do all donations to the Children's Hospital of Alabama.

I'm not sure why it uploaded the picture sideways. It shows correctly on my screen.

post-5291-13512185189701_thumb.jpg

Edited by timmy

Today? nothing, but the past week I completed my "mini" trees. Also, went through all my sequencing and fixed a few oopsies.

This weekend I will redo wreath, and get everything ready needed for the roof since I put it up next weekend!

I am behind. My goal was to not work on Christmas stuff every night from Oct to lights on day, but it doesn't appear that will happen.