Light-O-Rama Forums

ServoDog Options in Laymans Terms

fmcaninch

Ok, just got my ServoDog last week and spent the weekend playing with it. I ended up changing some of my ideas for the better with this new toy. However I am not clear exactly as to what the rest of the board is capable of doing.

The Servo part is self explanitory but from looking at the manual, I am thinking that I am also able to control variable power for maybe low level lighting??

I am not using the triggers just yet and I understand the I/O triggers as much as I want to right now so no explanation is needed on that.

I had an idea of maybe running single LED's off of some of the channels if that is possable. I was thinking if I could operate two LED's that could be sent a variable voltage to use as Skull Eye's for example. Another idea was to operate 3 LED's that I am integrating into a candelabra. Am I grasping at the wrong idea with this ServoDog or am I on the right track?

If I can, what type of LED's (volt amp) am I able to use? (too lazy to check voltage) :)

I have just finished building my 3 axis skulls with servodog and put the LED eyes on one of the unused servo channels. I purchased LED eye kit from monsterguts just spliced a servo cable to the power cable for the LED's; they are designed to use 9VDC - Unfortunately I don't think you are able to turn the eyes on or off when connected to a spare servo channel.

I have not experimented with the other triggers yet - trying to get some sequences done.

Would also like to hear from someone using the triggers on the servodog.

I am watching to see how the 3 axis skull came out.. I used mine to make "dancing skulls" they go back & fourth to the music .. but hoping to do a 3 axis with it later on

I am watching to see how the 3 axis skull came out.. I used mine to make "dancing skulls" they go back & fourth to the music .. but hoping to do a 3 axis with it later on

I just purchased some small plastic skulls from WalMart a week ago for .97 cents a piece. i noticed they all have a hole in the bottom. I saw that and thought of maybe setting up a rocker of sorts with these skulls on them. Have every other skull go up while the others go down and visa versa. A stick could go into the bottom of the skulls and the other end into a board or pipe. One board/pipe behind the other. Anyway, something like that. They would look like they are dancing up and down to the music. Either that or they would look like a Wack-A-Mole. LOL

Even if I could turn the LED's on and off with this board that would be great. Three colors for the eye's. So that would be 6 individually controlled LED's. Maybe too much. Anyway, still waiting for some input from the seasoned users.

I made a bracket ... and attached them with wire.. and hot glued the heads to the bracket.. wasn't the strongest setup... but worked for a few days.. right behind the fence by the street

Channels 4 & 5 of the ServoDog can be configured to do PWM through the two MOSFETs. The MOSFETs ground the attached load, so you could use these to dim LEDs as long as they draw less than 2 amps.

OK, I kinda figured that was possible and I figured it had something to do with the PWM and MOSFETs but I have no idea what all that is. I suppose if I did I would be able to figure it out or at least have an idea of what I should figure out. I see the mention of these in the manual but I must have missed the definitions someplace.

In the ServoDog Utility you can configure channels 4 & 5 as PWM. This means the MOSFETs will be modulated like port on our DC controllers. What you would do is connect the positive side of your light (LED) to 12vdc+ or whatever voltage you are using. You would then connect the negative side to one of the MOSFET terminals. The Ground on the ServoDog must be connected to the ground on your light's power supply. Then, when you send an intensity or fade command to channels 4 or 5, the light will be go to that brightness.

So I understand..... MOSFET terminal is CH4 and the other is CH5. I put positive LED wire in M1 (CH4) and the negative LED wire in G or ground terminal. This will allow me to dim/brighten the LED via the LOR Sequencer. So I have to match the LED voltage to the power supply I am using, 12v, but do not exceed 2 AMPs per LED or is that 2 AMPs for both LED's?

How does that sound?

USAGE EXAMPLE: 2 LED's attached to G and M1 to be used as eye's for a skull. Not to exceed 2 AMP's. I could then use M2 to power maybe a 3 LED candelabra?

The LED's would have to be Parallel correct?

So I understand..... MOSFET terminal is CH4 and the other is CH5. I put positive LED wire in M1 (CH4) and the negative LED wire in G or ground terminal.

No, the + side of your power supply connects to the positive on your LEDs. The negative side of the LEDs goes to one of the MOSFET terminals. The - side of your power supply goes to the ground on the ServoDog.

SWEET!! Ok, I am jazzed now. Visited Radio Shack for some parts, Man they suck now. Anyway, got me some red LED's, wire, shrink wrap and set out to add my lighted eyes.

I have to admit I was a retard when wiring it up to the ServoDog and I was about to ask a stupid question but I read this thread again and fixed my mistake.

Anyway, for now, I decided to use both the M1 and M2 terminals since I do not have a whole lot to control at the moment. I can always change that in the future, which I probably will with the addition of the candles.

I think I will let the candleabra slide this year and just go with the premade battery candles. Not liking that idea so much but I already have a lot to do.

In short, running LED.s off the ServoDog works and all you have to do is follow the instructions above.

• 3 weeks later...

I have no idea how or what the Servos or the Digital I/Os can do can anyone point me to a resource or video explaining everything?

Thanks