Light-O-Rama Forums

What ever happened to SUPERSPEED ?

ItsMeBobO

My 12 CCP strings (6 controllers) are mounted in the matrix board. When I send a full refresh of all 600 pixels I get a moment of gibberish on the board. To try and help I split the board into 2 networks of 6 strings each. I thought this would completely correct the issues but it has not. While it is a little better, I am still seeing unwanted colors for a moment which later correct themselves. To me, this appears to be caused by the individual R channel G channel B channel not all being set at the same time.

Is superspeed going to be a reality? It is not an option on the network preferences tool. I am hoping this is not dependent on a firmware upgrade, at least for the new CCP & CCBs

I'm curious as well as I have some CCP's on hand and am also waiting for some CCB's and I don't want to have to run multiple networks. The last communication I had with LOR hinted that it is still happening. In addition, they also mentioned releasing a next-generation Show Time Director soon that will handle two independent networks and be able to push the data fast enough for their various cosmic devices. Let's all cross our fingers...

• 2 months later...

I think it's already available and I'm using it this year. Until they finally get a better solution I think It's called DMX. :)

• 2 weeks later...

After hours update to 3.9 is working fine. All controllers had firmware updated. No problems to report. 500K did reduce the choppiness in the the matrices.

I updated to 3.9.0 as well. I was having pretty significant chop with the 115.4K (used to be called "Short Range"). See this video of a couple of effects.

There are 3 - 100 CCP pixels that I converted to CCB's with bulb covers from China. These are on one network with 2 CCF units (4 heads) (about 912 channels). The garage is 2 CCR's and I turned off the other 2 CCR's on the tree trunks and all of that plus the tree and yard lights are on a second network (about 700 channels).

I put the new 500K to both networks and noted the following:

1. - Only the CCP's and CCR's that I could update firmware for worked on those networks. If I drop the network speed back down from 500 to 115.4, everything lights up.

2. - The CCP's and CCR's are smooth as butter when running at 500K. I mean ridiculously smooth! Might even make a Santa House run?

Where did you find the firmware to update the CCP/CCB Controllers? I don't see anything on LOR's website referencing the firmware for those devices and it does not look like it is part of the 3.9 download.

You dont have to disconnect anything unless you are using ELLs.

Close down SE and disable schedule. Open HWU and select the comm with your CCPs on it and hit refresh.

At the bottom of HWU there is a firmware button. Pressing that shows you the firmware options. Select the radio button which says Only the selected controller.

Then there is an open button to select the firmware file you want. Then the down load button below it. When it says successful then select the next controller at the top then download again.

I just want to point out that I have had to order 2 more 485 network connectors. I had my CCF's and my 16 channel controllers (pre Oct 2011) on the same network as my CCR's and CCB's. The problem is that those controllers cannot be on a network boosted to the new high speed (the controllers can't be updated).

Oh well - all those custom Cat5e cables daisy chained across my house all need to be re-thought as I add a new network for the lower speed devices. Small price to pay for the new speed, though!!!

I found out that 500K is only supported on CCR, CCB, CCP and Gen3 controllers. Firmware is included with the 3.9.0.0 software download.

The USB485 adapters that people have "MAY" support 500K. Light-O-Rama plans to have 500K compatible USB adapters in the on-line store tomorrow. The specs on the com chip in the USB adapters that most people have say that they will only support up to 250K but my "standard" USB adapters that I have had for 3 years worked fine at the 500K speed and Light-O-Rama says all the standard USB adapters they tested worked fine at 500K as well.

But, the worst case is it simply will not work (will miss commands, etc...) but in that case you can just go back to 115K.

Well, I have updated all controllers but the DC ones and it all failed for me. I have AUXa network with 1 CCB and 1 DC controller. AUXb and AUXc with 1 CCB each. It all failed horribly where the lag was 10 times worse on 500K. I had to set it all abck to 115K and it works as before. Maybe it is the LOR USB dongles?

I am on the USB485 dongles and it works like a charm. 3 CCB on Standard and 4 CCR on AuxA. I had to take all the non-updatable controllers and put them on a new network (AuxB). Your AUXa with the DC controller cannot run at 500K because the DC is not upgradable to the 500k (I am guessing that is why you didn't). The other networks not working with 1 CCB should be fine? I don't know what to suggest other than checking to make sure the Firmware upgrade gave a "successful" in the HWU. Sorry - not much help I know.

yes, each controller was updated successfully and shows the correct version after refresh. I understand anomalies on the AUXa with the DC, but B and C are on their own CCB with nothing else....choke city on even the simplest of things now. Since it is 2 weeks left, I am going to chalk it up as crap and test after Jan. Why would LOR come out with new USB's?

This goes back to your mileage may vary. None of the current (pre announcement) USB-485 adapters are certified to work at 500k, but many do. If you have one, then you have a nice bonus.

• Like 1

This is such a tease as the little lags I am seeing drives me nuts. I have regular or DC controllers on each of my 5 networks. I would hate to go through the process of re-cabling to see if this helps right now.......

I'm sure what I see is not noticeable to most who see the show, but the lag bothers me...........What to do? What to do? Do I leave well enough alone?

Some wise old timer here once said don't update in the middle of the season............... but the strive for perfection is calling..........

Steve

This goes back to your mileage may vary. None of the current (pre announcement) USB-485 adapters are certified to work at 500k, but many do. If you have one, then you have a nice bonus.

well, I bought the adapters from LOR Oct 12th, which is 60 days ago....kinda sucks if that is the case.