Light-O-Rama Forums

Buying a new computer what do i need?

WeissWonderland

I am new to the light o rama family and need to get a lap top since i only run a mac. Any ideas on what type, how much memory or the speed of the processor? Remember im a landscaper and i am foreign to computer language so please explain in detail. Also anyone around the North Richland Hills Texas area that would be interested in giving me some tips?

I am new to the light o rama family and need to get a lap top since i only run a mac. Any ideas on what type, how much memory or the speed of the processor? Remember im a landscaper and i am foreign to computer language so please explain in detail. Also anyone around the North Richland Hills Texas area that would be interested in giving me some tips?

How seriously are you planning to get into this? A few 16 channel controllers? A bunch of 16 channel controllers? Thousands of RGB pixels?

I've been running a show with 60 controllers on a PC that was considered obsolete 5 years ago. I've been sequencing that show on a 4 year old laptop, with no complaints.

So pretty much any average PC sold new today should have no issues at all with probably up to 100 16 channel controllers. If you think you may do a bunch of pixels, you might want to aim higher. Or if you think you have at least a couple of years before you get to pixels, I would suggest starting with the mid range system, and then in a couple of years, the mid range system will be what today's high end system was. Your total investment will be the same, and you will have one PC to use as a show PC, and one for sequencing.

i really dont know. I guess i would be doing both from the same computer since all the other computers i have are mac. Will that work to do both on one? I think i just might run out of money before this is all done ha ha .

Try the Asus G75VW. Not sure on your price range but that's what I am using. Can be had at circuit city for $1199.00. May seem pricey but it will run the visualizer and sequence without any lag. You can upgrade the unit later to 2TB of hard drive if needed but the 500GB hard drive and 12 GB ram will be fine as is. The laptop has a 17inch screen and easily runs another external monitor if you want. There are different price levels for the laptop but the entry level priced model is all that is needed.

Some may say it is overkill but I keep hearing about sequences lagging when using the visualizer but I have never had the problem and I am running 160 channels in my visualizations.

When you may be considering 2 computors (1 for creation and 1 for presentation) then this option may be close to the same cost in the end.

the only reason i thought about using a lap top is so that i can run everything from the garage. I agree with the small screen thing. do you have to run a wireless transmitter if you run from a desk top? sorry for all the questions i just am excited and want to get a computer tomorrow.

I run distributed computing projects 24/7 working on the cure for cancer, malaria and aids that use alot of computing power at the same time as I run sequences without difficulty.

You are probably not planning on running software like that so someone else may have a laptop a little cheaper that will work just as good.

The video card may need to be fairly powerfull but again I have not tried a video card with under 1GB RAM.

Sounds like Funtobewith11 has a couple of specifications that will work for you. 4GB memory and 2.66GHz processor. Is it a single core or i3,i5 or i7 processor? Are you running anything special as far as the video card goes?

I run mine with an old 2005 Dell desktop on XP. I removed all the junk off the hard drive like anti virus, and some other programs running in the background. After I reimaged it never gets on the internet. And I sequence on a refurbished leased computer that I purchased from Krazy Kenny Computer Warehouse $150.

First of all, Welcome to the addiction that is LOR.

I picked this one because it's similar to mine. Mine is an i7 and about the only difference.

toshiba satellite p755 If you'll take a look at this one, it has about the minimum specs, in my opinion, that you would need. Core i5, 6 gB of memory, Intel HD Graphics. Remember, if using a laptop, the video card shares memory. 6gB of memory would be about the minimum I would consider. On most laptops, there is a port for an outside monitor, and some even have a HDMI out for a digital TV, if you wish. Makes it easy to see more.

As mentioned above, if you're just using the normal LOR 16 ch. controllers, this would be plenty. If you plan on using 1000's of pixels, you might want to step it up a bit.

Remember, if you use the same Laptop or Desktop for sequencing and production, make sure you back up often while sequencing AND, make sure you have all of your sequences on a back-up CD or DVD for when your show is in operation. You can never have too many back-ups and for pennies for a CD, there are no excuses.

Above all have fun. If for some unfortunate reason you get down to showtime and you're not ready, then you panic. Otherwise, a hobby is supposed to be fun, so enjoy yourself.

Happy lighting,

Ron

Edited by Ron Boyd

I use a amd quad4 4 gig men 1 terrbite hard drive it half full o light o rama stuff i have 48 inch montor i use this comper to do sequences and run the show with make sure you have a good graph card I run my sequences 1/2 speed when doing rework running windows 7

I use a desktop with duel monitor 21" and 23", visualizer on one editor on the other. I use a cheap barebones computer I got from a rummage sale to run my show. If you use the computer for both, you can't use the computer while the show is running- sound issues.

I use a netbook to sequence, and yes there is a little lag in the Visualizer, part of which is caused by me with the props and fixtures I use, they are pixel intensive. I also use an MP3 director to run my show, so lag during a show I wouldn't know about, but during a show you wouldn't run the Visualizer at the same time anyhow, so lag shouldn't be an issue in running a show from the computer. As others have stated, they are using older computers to run their shows, without a problem, so any inexpensive computer should work. Remember, the Visualizer is just a tool to get an idea of what your show is going to look like, it's not a "video" of the actual show.

when you talk about graphic card what should i look for? Again i have no idea with computers but i can do amazing things with landscape.

But what everyone says it that i can sequence and run the show from a lap top? Im about to go to best buy and use my gift card for my birthday towards a new computer. One more question, should i just buy a desk top and during the christmas season put it in the garage? Would that be better than the lap top?

I'm not a fan of putting my electronic equipment in the garage due to the dramatic changes in temperature, compared to conditioned spaces. I have mine in the basement. You just need an el-cheap-o computer to run your show.

columbus so what specs would i look for as in ram and processor? Im thinking about getting a desk top to sequence and maybe run the show

Honestly I would look in the phone book for a place that deals with used computers. Or a family member that is getting rid of their computer. And reimage it and you should be all good. As long as it is XP and up. Not an old school 486 DX or an 8088

How does that work for you, using two different sized monitors? I also use two but same size.

Good point in using same computer bor both and sound issue, had forgot about that one.

The small one is actually 20". The difference is ok, I used to have a 17" for the small one, that wasn't ok.