Light-O-Rama Forums

Transferring Settings between computer

cmoore60

I just recently built a new show computer. I have been playing around with configuring DMX networks on my laptop. I wish to transfer the network settings to the new computer, without recreating all the settings. Is there a file that this information is written to when a person modifies the network configuration? Where is this file?

It's not a file, it's in the registry.

*IF* you are handy with the registry editor that is included with Windows, then you could export the appropriate branch (and a couple of required keys) from one computer to another. HOWEVER you'll need to be VERY VERY careful in the registry editor. One wrong move and you can make your computer unbootable.

You also need to take care of your licensing information in the registry. The license stored in one registry will NOT work on another computer.

It's dangerous enough that we can't support you if you try. To say the registry is fragile on a Windows computer is an UNDERSTATEMENT. Just ask me -- just yesterday my work machine decided I wasn't a registered LOR user because of a registry issue I created.

However, with the larger number of hardware networks that can now be defined I definitely see a use for something like this. I'll bring it up to Dan and see what he has to say.

Mike,

Thank you for the reply. I thought that it may be in the Registry. I nosed around but did not come to the correct place.

I will just set up computers next to each other and do it one item at a time.

I to do see a need for something that will allow a person to transfer those settings from a person development system on to their system the run the show on, if not the same.

Chuck

I can as well. In fact, I may just go ahead and start to code it before I even get the OK. This is one of those things where you slap yourself on the forehead and go "DUH! How did *I* not suggest that?"

• Like 1