Light-O-Rama Forums

LED Keeper - Where to Get?

Bob Musil

No apology necessary.

We have noticed some very unusual internet sites trying to sell the LED Keeper, the one that comes to mind is selling the LED Keeper for around $60.00 plus S&H.

Most sites are valid, as for Amazon they try to add everything even though it will be someone else who will ship it.

As to the differences, this needs to be addressed and with all the haste to get this to market, that was not addressed well. So let me try to address that.

The GREEN 'E' version will be available for DIY and professional use thought various webites, like suppliers/vendors of LED light strings. Several have already got the 'E' version.

The YELLOW 'B' version will be in retail stores sales like Menards, True Value, Ace Hardware, and in Canada i believe at Canadian Tire. There are other places. The 'B' unit logic design right now cannot aid you in the ability ot replace a sealed LED, but that might change in the next version.

The 'B' unit might also be available along side the 'E' unit at some places.

Ulta-Lit decided with the inculsion of the LED Keeper to the product line, along side the Light Keeper Pro, as not to make all the products the same color, even if they look different. Reason is if you need help using the Ulta-Lit tech support line, it will be easy to ask the person what color is the unit, and then be able to help them.

The DC version does not need any external power source, the 'B' unit will generate enough power off the 9 volt battery to turn on a entire section of LED's. Very unique design and safe for the consumer.

Both units have a power cord extended for the unit, the 'B' unit has a receptacle for you to plug your light string for testing.

The 'E' unit has a plug, as it needs 120Vac along with the LED light string, This unit is what I reconmend for anyone having sealed LED light strings as it is setup to aid you in knowing the polarity of the string section and finding the polarity of the replacement LED.

Both units work well for replacable LED light strings. It is up to you which model best suits you.

BTW: we are open to any suggestions to make either unit better.

You can watch my video of my prototype of the 'E' unit here: https://vimeo.com/37397543

Will make a better video soon, once I find a camera that works better.

Now I'm confused. Can you explain what the difference is between sealed and non sealed LED strings that makes it necessary to create a different tool?

I use CDI strings, so which one should I Get, the green or the yellow?

Jerry

Will they be in Canada this year?

Gotta get me one of these!

Yes, see my long post above #19.

LORisAwesome:

Sealed means the LED is not replacable, it is molded into one piece like the CDI units.

Edited by Dennis Cherry

Update on some questions.

Where to buy the 'E' units.

1000bulbs.com is a good choice for this unit, also some other vendors here and in other forums also have stock available.

www.illumimax.com

www.wlcventures.com

www.hitechlights.com (soon)

Availability of the Pods:

The shipment of extra pods is next month, when they are available at the www.ultalit.com webite. should come in a pack of 6 per card.

Just out of curiosity, what makes the "Green" version better for sealed strings? At C3, the guy from UltraLit demoed the "Yellow" version and said it would work for both types.

Just trying to make sure I buy the right product. I was leaning toward "yellow" so I didn't have to worry about plugging it in "out in the field".

Thanks,

-Tim

P.S. Rather than using the "pods" I think most of us would use a sacrificial string to get replacement bubs from (even for sealed strings - splice them in). The UltraLit guy said the same thing - the pods are more from where you are fixing a string you don't have a comparable donor string you can sacrifice.

Just out of curiosity, what makes the "Green" version better for sealed strings? At C3, the guy from UltraLit demoed the "Yellow" version and said it would work for both types.

Just trying to make sure I buy the right product. I was leaning toward "yellow" so I didn't have to worry about plugging it in "out in the field".

Thanks,

-Tim

P.S. Rather than using the "pods" I think most of us would use a sacrificial string to get replacement bubs from (even for sealed strings - splice them in). The UltraLit guy said the same thing - the pods are more from where you are fixing a string you don't have a comparable donor string you can sacrifice.

As stated in an earlier post, the 'E' unit has polarity finding features the 'E' unit does not have. This is a great help when you want to replace the defective LED with a sacraficial LED from another string. I will have a video up soon on how this works.

Yes, the pod is for users that do not want or need to replace a defective LED with a sacraficial LED, or if you are in a hurry to get the string back oparational again, the POD is a quick fix, then later during the daytime you can do the LED replacement repair.

The person who demoed at C3 was the owner of Ultalit. It showed how easy either unit works finding the defective LED light, but he used a replacable LED light string, Either unit will find the defective LED, no matter if it is fixed/replacable, fill or half wave. It is up to you which works for your repairs.

As stated in an earlier post, the 'E' unit has polarity finding features the 'E' unit does not have. This is a great help when you want to replace the defective LED with a sacraficial LED from another string. I will have a video up soon on how this works.

Yes, the pod is for users that do not want or need to replace a defective LED with a sacraficial LED, or if you are in a hurry to get the string back oparational again, the POD is a quick fix, then later during the daytime you can do the LED replacement repair.

The person who demoed at C3 was the owner of Ultalit. It showed how easy either unit works finding the defective LED light, but he used a replacable LED light string, Either unit will find the defective LED, no matter if it is fixed/replacable, fill or half wave. It is up to you which works for your repairs.

Excellent info - sounds like I want the Green one after all.

Thanks for developing this and getting it to market. This is going to be a godsend.

Hmm, is there a 3rd version? The site url I gave earlier says that one comes with 3 1.5v batteries, which would only be 4.5vdc. it also doesn't really show the tool or color of it. I didn't notice the battey info the other day, as I was just searching for your LED KEEPER tool. So is this a completely different tool than the ones you developed Dennis? Or does this one belong to someone else, it still says it's from Ulta-Lit, but this one shows as:

Ulta-Lit Tree 3203-CD LED Keeper Repair Tool

I'm just wanting to be sure I buy the correct tool you designed and got to market.

Hmm, is there a 3rd version? The site url I gave earlier says that one comes with 3 1.5v batteries, which would only be 4.5vdc. it also doesn't really show the tool or color of it. I didn't notice the battey info the other day, as I was just searching for your LED KEEPER tool. So is this a completely different tool than the ones you developed Dennis? Or does this one belong to someone else, it still says it's from Ulta-Lit, but this one shows as:

Ulta-Lit Tree 3203-CD LED Keeper Repair Tool

I'm just wanting to be sure I buy the correct tool you designed and got to market.

Orville I saw that, and that's why I'll be ordering from 1000Bulbs. That way I'm guaranteed to get the "green" one, and that source was recommended by the guy from Ultralit.

Dennis can correct me if I'm wrong, but the only two models mentioned in Chicago were the two Dennis already mentioned.

Looks like I need to purchase another item for this hobby. :) I would say that you should emphasize in your video to unplug the light set prior to cutting the wire. I see the plug in the video but a warning is probably a good idea. Thanks for developing this product.

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes, $16.50 shipping to

I was going to order but your shipping is almost as much as the product.

Yikes, $16.50 shipping to me. HiTechLights - you might want to consider some different shipping options - they should probably fit in a $5 Flat-rate box.

WLC Ventures is selling them for $30 shipped...

Sorry about that guys! For one, we did have the wrong weight for the product. But the shipping is still typically around $14, but these are UPS rates, not ours!

For the next 72 hours, we're offering the LED Keeper for $22.49 plus $0.99 fixed standard shipping! You can purchase immediately by going to URL: https://store.hitechlights.com/product_p/ledkeeper-e.htm Hope this helps and apologize for the confusion.

---Michael

For the next 72 hours, we're offering the LED Keeper for $22.49 plus $0.99 fixed standard shipping! You can purchase immediately by going to URL: https://store.hitech...ledkeeper-e.htm Hope this helps and apologize for the confusion.

---Michael

Very cool - I just sent you some business (directed some friends to this deal) :)

Edited by Tim Fischer

Guest Don Gillespie

Sorry about that guys! For one, we did have the wrong weight for the product. But the shipping is still typically around $14, but these are UPS rates, not ours!

For the next 72 hours, we're offering the LED Keeper for $22.49 plus $0.99 fixed standard shipping! You can purchase immediately by going to URL: https://store.hitech...ledkeeper-e.htm Hope this helps and apologize for the confusion.

---Michael

I am in on this also thanks for the great rate

Thanks Michael, Ordered placed. Sorry to say UPS is really expensive and slow in my opinion. I know they are easy to deal with though! Thanks again.

-Brandon

Thanks Michael, Ordered placed. Sorry to say UPS is really expensive and slow in my opinion. I know they are easy to deal with though! Thanks again.

Yeah, UPS is really horrid for small items like the LEDKeeper.