Light-O-Rama Forums

6 Channel SuperStar "Star"

BrianBruderer

I have had several people inquire about how to build the Star at the top of a 12 CCR SuperStar display. The least expensive route is to use a wire frame star such as this one http://store.3glight...ing-star-green/

The wire frame star is $41 and he sells a set of lights for the 4 channel "exploding" star for about $60. Shipping charges apply.

However, to make a 6 channel star like is seen in my videos requires 1/4 inch sheets of polyethelene plastic which is not readily available. Note that polypropylene plastic and acrylic are what you will find at stores like Home Depot. Polypropylene is cheapest, but it yellows in the sun and is brittle and will chip and crack easily when drilling holes in it. Acrylic is resistant to the sun and is strong but it takes much longer to drill holes in it and it is clear. The natural color of polyethelene is a milky white and it is resistant to the sun and is much easier to drill holes into. The milky white color diffuses the light well so that the lights are the star look more continuous.

I am in the process of putting together some kits that would contain the following:

1 front star with holes pre-drilled

1 back star

10 side pieces

screws to fasten the pieces together with

1 - 20 count light set

1 - 30 count light set

1 - 40 count light set

1 - 50 count light set

1 - 60 count light set

1 - 70 count light set

To get light string sets with the proper count of lights for each star I had to custom order them from China. I just received them last week, they look good. In addition to having the right light count, they also have 2 inch spacing on the lights which makes it so there isn't a bunch of extra wire that takes up extra space.

I will have the kits available on my web site at www.superstarlights.com by Aug 24. The price will be $199.99 plus $20.00 shipping. That's a higher price than I was hoping for, but thats the best price I can do. And as mentioned above, the less expensive route to go is the 4 channel wire frame star.

Yes, the lights are LEDs. Specifically they are 5mm concave lense, or "wide angle" LEDs which is what I found works best in this application.

• 3 months later...

Hi Brian,

After reading this post I went to the web page to order the star but I see that the shipping and the price of the star is higher.

Your post shower 199.99 plus 20.00 shipping but the website has 249.95 plus 30.00 shipping.

Which is it?

Thank you,

Rick

Originally I had a price of $199.95 plus $20.00 shipping but my costs and the shipping ended up being higher than expected and I had to raise the price.

Originally I had a price of $199.95 plus $20.00 shipping but my costs and the shipping ended up being higher than expected and I had to raise the price.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the quick response. I hate it when suppliers spring surprises on you. I will be ordering my kit soon and am looking forward to building my display.

Rick

Dimensions of the Star

The distance from the upper left tip to the upper right tip is 29 inches. The distance from the lower left tip to the lower right tip is 18 inches. The distance from the center to any of the tips is 15 1/4 inches which means 15 1/4 inches is the radius and if you drew a circle on all of the 5 tips, the diameter of that circle would be 30 1/2 inches.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone sell a 6 channel wire-frame star?  No lights needed, as I will use dumb RGB strings for it.

• 2 months later...

Just wondering if anyone can share pics of how they mounted the star on the top? The open space in the middle seems a bit small. I can fit a block of wood in there and bolt it to the top, but wondering if that is the best way.

I mounted a 1" flange on the back of the star. Used 4 bolts with large fender washers on the inside of the star. Flange has a short nipple on it which mounts to a 90 degree elbow, then to another nipple then a 1-1/4" to 1" reducer. The reducer simply attaches to the end of the 1-1/4" galvanized pipe. Worked great last year. Easy to set up and take down.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qp3pmudv3eebq6y/AAC-ib2Hn2TjVtEiUMpO-zU9a?dl=0

This is the topper for mine. The larger flange is 1 1/4" and the smaller one is 1/2". The larger one goes to the tree pole of course but the smaller one is for this star.

I took the back off of the star and drilled 4 holes to fit 2 "c" clamps or pipe clamps. I then added a small strip of plywood to the inside (for support of the HDPE) and attached the clamps, then attached a 1/2" threaded pipe and cinched everything down.

Next, I re-installed the back portion of the star and it in turn screws right into the small flange in the pictures.

I can get some pics close-up if you like. It will just be of the outside, because I have the sections caulked and I really don't want to take it apart.

• 2 months later...

Speaking of the star, having a real fun time trying to find the prop for this star for the visualizer. Anyone have a zip file for it?

There is a visualization of the superstar display in the standard S3 download.

Launch the visualizer

Click on the File menu and select Open

navigate to the Samples folder

look for the file "SuperStar_controllersBottomLeft"

In that visualization are the star and the 12 rays below the star. You can select the prop containing the star and export it as a prop and then import it into any visualization

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=BAF04DFFE8AC1BAA!12359&authkey=!ABpSRxvTCj5Dvsw&ithint=file%2clee

Here is a RGB star that matches Brian's original star. You can change it over to non-RGB and change everything to white pretty easily.

Edit: The star in the samples folder is much prettier than this one though.

Edited by Ron Boyd

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Brian for my star, I have not yet started to build it, but hope to have it done by the end of this month.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The price of the star has been reduced to $199.95 plus $30.00 shipping.

Plus, there is now a "molded back" star available. It is $249.95 plus $30.00 shipping.

For details, go to www.superstarlights.com and click on "Star Purchase" underneath the words "SuperStar Construction"

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered my star from Brian today. I am looking forward to getting it put together but not sure when that will be with all of the outdoor activities I have been doing lately. After that I will order a tune to sign (Holiday Coro) and a few 12 ccr sequences and then I will be pretty much set for this up coming year. Starting to feel accomplished but I have a lot of sequencing left to do.

• Like 1

Brian,

Since I've already purchased 2 of these stars from you, would you be able to offer the molded back piece separately? I do see that you have the drop down piece to buy separately.