Light-O-Rama Forums

CG1500, 5v Power Suppy, E681

WilliamS

I know there will be a lot of these floating around in the next few weeks and months. Jeff already shared his setup, Im on vacation this week to setup my display. Well Im getting it ready for the season, it will reside in my living room till go time. Here is the guts of one of my boxes. This will help with the quesitons of what box will hold all of my stuff and have room to breathe. Theres are 2 shots, 1 of the top down, and 1 of a profile. You will see in the profile shot the power supply is flush with the lower half, meaning door of the setup is all open air. This one is for my 5v Matrix.

My second that I will post tomorrow or Thursday will only have 1 E681 in it. The other will have 2 power supplys. The 12v box is going to be modified for cooling, power will be setup as left and right so I can setup power injection. That will follow along shortly.

I knew I saw thses pictures before. I almost sware they were designed for it. In fact the upper screw holes on the E681 line up to a few of the bosses on the box. It must have been your pictures that showed me to reverse the L brackets to hold down the power supply.

Edited by GoofyGuy

The parts are mounted to plexi glass, remove 4 screws it all comes out easy as pie. This one is being mounted to a 2x10 then strapped to a pillar near my front door as it will be dedicated to my matrix which is mounted between my pillars, then my megatree for Christmas which is also about 8 feet from my pillar. I had to use lower quality pics for now till I get myself an online storage setup. You can see in the picture the lower right the plexi cracked. Luckily in a spot that makes no difference to me. Its all made to pull apart quickly if I need to change or adjust anything.

On my third box I have to figure out a vent system as all it will be used for is Power supplies, 1 for the right side of the house, the other will be the left. I have a tiny house so its more than enough.

Wanted to point out I got all 3 boxes I will be using from Kevin, I placed the order at 6pm my time here in Florida, he was able to get home and in the mail same day from California. 3 days later I have boxes. As the DIY picks up I see him being very busy.

Edited by GoofyGuy
  • Like 1

I wonder if there is a way to add a rubber seal to the CG1500's....

I cant remember all of the details anymore. But one user back in I think it was 09 or 10 said that he installed some foam weather seal in the door channel thinking that it needed to be more water tight. I believe he stated that it had never leaked onto the board before. But after the first rain his board shorted. He reflected on the issue and decided that the box's method of keeping out rain should not be monkeyed with. The seal is not air tight. But water trying to navigate the double lip ends up being caught and channeled down to the bottom where the double lip is interrupted and the water can drain out.

But to be truthful to you Wayne. I buy and build the solder kits. Then I tape off the quick disconnect spades, data jacks, socketed ICs, fuse holders, and the two headers with the little slide over clips. Then both top and bottom get a good healthy coat of clear krylon. This protects the board from moisture such as dew, but not splash proof. It might also protect it from slugs. Ya you read that right. Someone a few years back had their controller laying on the ground. A slug got up and into the enclosure and across part of the board. Literally burnt a whole through the board. I think I heard that LOR still took care of the guy. Even though it was not a fault of their product being defective.

So you use the clear Krylon like a conformal coating? I have only used coating like that on strobe lights...and it works pretty darn good. Maybe I'll have to get my other boards coated. And I'm glad we don't have slugs where we live! :)

I wonder if there is a way to add a rubber seal to the CG1500's....

I've had no problems with just rain, but you could get some plumbers putty and seal the edges. It comes off readily and it's pretty good at keeping water out.

Just a thought.

..... Brought a smile to my face reading all of that banter back then over a slug shorting out a guys control board. Good times....

except perhaps for the guy who had the board shorted out by the slug! ;)

Edited by Greg Young

True Greg. But I think LOR took to feeling bad for the guy and took good care of him. I say that the slug got what was coming to him. I mean This was a clear case of enclosure invasion. ;)