Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB16D Board RGB Controllers

CLD Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone solve the heat build-up problem with the DC board and power supply? I have to mount the enclosures under my eaves and am worried that the power supply is going to overheat and fry inside the enclosure and melt my DC board when I can't see or notice....

This is an issue that has not really been covered very well. First off the enclosure is too small to house the power supply and passively get rid of the heat. If you take the cover off, not much point in calling it an enclosure. If you use a fan to cool the supply you need to make sure you don't do that outside. If you do, you will suck in moisture from the air outside and that is not a good thing for the supply or the driver board. There might be some what of an exception if you run the supply pretty warm all the time, as this might help with moisture issues. If you don't, beware of the moisture in the air. As well, plastic is a terrible conductor of heat. You have almost no conduction of heat from the enclosure itself...

I own a control panel shop and I can tell you this is not acceptable for the commercial or industrial world.. but we are playing with Christmas lights here after all.. so you may get away with a lot more.. I doubt however that the UL listing on any of the supplies mentioned, (ones that are not labled waterproof), covers the conditions of "damp location".. which is what under the eve would be. The RIGHT WAY to do this would be to either put the supply outside the box and use a weatherproof supply, or use an enclosure that is big enough with an adiquate way of removing the heat without letting moisture in.

Again, I know we are playing with Christmas lights.. and you might be perfectly ok with whatever you do... but use some common sense... and perhaps filters for the air if using fans! Maybe even some desicant? Just some thoughts!

(No spell check used, obviously)

Edited by plasmadrive