Light-O-Rama Forums

Watch out for Greatleds

plasmadrive

Al in Raleigh wrote:

I have heard of flicker in LEDs but not experienced any. I pulled the LPD6803 datasheet and didn't see anything conclusive. However, I do know about PWM and voltage drop. So, I just now searched and found a thread on Ardunio Forum about LPD6803 and flicker possibly confirming (not actually but I like to think it did) my suspicions that voltage drop from current slugs could be the problem. Here is the link.

I'll bet either one or more of theses occurred:
1) Too many nodes were connected between voltage re-injection points.
2) The powersupply could not handle the current slugs
3) A capacitor of significant size at strategic points might have stopped the flicker.
4) Upping the wire gauge would have solved part of this
5) A ground bounce condition was occurring.

Dude, this is the wrong forum for this stuff.

Yes, if those "current slugs" get into your pixels, you're screwed. :shock:

And if the ground bounce happens, and it is more than 5-7 feet, you'll also have issues. :shock:

Actually, I'd be interested in hearing your theory on why you think any kind of ground bounce condition is the issue...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• plasmadrive

• rescue_653

• shfr26

• edvas69

Orville wrote:

... he {and I} picked up the cadavers from accident and other crime scenes once local authorities were done with them.

I couldn't help but notice that no one has screwed up the courage to ask what exactly you and your buddy DID with all those cadavers after picking them up? :shock:

George Simmons wrote:

Orville wrote:
... he {and I} picked up the cadavers from accident and other crime scenes once local authorities were done with them.

I couldn't help but notice that no one has screwed up the courage to ask what exactly you and your buddy DID with all those cadavers after picking them up? :shock:

We took them to military installations and they created zombie soldiers like in the movies George. Sorry, but you really opened yourself up for that one.:P;)

But in all reality what we did with them was they were taken to the Morgue at the hospital, taken directly to a funeral home, but depending on the scene, they were sometimes taken to an law enforcement crime scene lab, which when they were done investigating or whatever you want to call it they do with the body, then we would go back and re-pick up whatever was left of it and then took it to the funeral home.

And since my uncle was also a mortician at the time, we got to see a lot of very interesting things that get done with a body for prep prior to burial or creamation, if the body was still intact, if not, still an interesting thing to watch how and what they do with the remnants.

But most definitely would NOT be for those with a weak heart or queasy stomach. I was a lot healther back then than I am now, never bothered me in the least. Always thought it was pretty cool to do, although a few {not all} of my friends thought it was downright ghoulish and would always ask: "Do you really do that?" or "How can you stomach to do that?" "It's just so disgusting and gross!"

Of course I'd really gross 'em out and tell them: "Hey!, We always go and have lunch {or dinner} right after a job, seeing all those guts just makes us sooooo hungry! ROFLMAO

Okay, show of hands, how many are really feeling ill about now?:shock:;)

Orville wrote:

George Simmons wrote:
Orville wrote:

We took them to military installations and they created zombie soldiers like in the movies George.    Sorry, but you really opened yourself up for that one.:P;)

But in all reality what we did with them was they were taken to the Morgue at the hospital,  taken directly to a funeral home, but depending on the scene, they were sometimes taken to an law enforcement crime scene lab, which when they were done investigating or whatever you want to call it they do with the body, then we would go back and re-pick up whatever was left of it and then took it to the funeral home.   

And since my uncle was also a mortician at the time, we got to see a lot of very interesting things that get done with a body for prep prior to burial or creamation, if the body was still intact, if not, still an interesting thing to watch how and what they do with the remnants.  

But most definitely would NOT be for those with a weak heart or queasy stomach.   I was a lot healther back then than I am now, never bothered me in the least.   Always thought it was pretty cool to do, although a few {not all} of my friends thought it was downright ghoulish and would always ask: "Do you really do that?"  or "How can you stomach to do that?"  "It's just so disgusting and gross!"

Of course I'd really gross 'em out and tell them: "Hey!, We always go and have lunch {or dinner} right after a job, seeing all those guts just makes us sooooo hungry! ROFLMAO

Okay, show of hands, how many are really feeling ill about now?:shock:;)

Do you really want to ask me that question. Being a rescue diver, and FF / EMT there is really not a whole lot that shocks me anymore.

Retired from fire department after 25 plus years, so no, I do not feel ill. At least yours were not screaming or crying for help when you got there.

Orville wrote:

George Simmons wrote:
Orville wrote:

We took them to military installations and they created zombie soldiers like in the movies George. Sorry, but you really opened yourself up for that one.:P;)

But in all reality what we did with them was they were taken to the Morgue at the hospital, taken directly to a funeral home, but depending on the scene, they were sometimes taken to an law enforcement crime scene lab, which when they were done investigating or whatever you want to call it they do with the body, then we would go back and re-pick up whatever was left of it and then took it to the funeral home.

But most definitely would NOT be for those with a weak heart or queasy stomach. I was a lot healther back then than I am now, never bothered me in the least. Always thought it was pretty cool to do, although a few {not all} of my friends thought it was downright ghoulish and would always ask: "Do you really do that?" or "How can you stomach to do that?" "It's just so disgusting and gross!"

Of course I'd really gross 'em out and tell them: "Hey!, We always go and have lunch {or dinner} right after a job, seeing all those guts just makes us sooooo hungry! ROFLMAO

Okay, show of hands, how many are really feeling ill about now?:shock::P

Let me guess...you watched a few episodes of CSI and then went and helped the detectives solve the crime too, right?

Guest Don Gillespie

DonFL wrote:

Let me guess...you watched a few episodes of CSI and then went and helped the detectives solve the crime too, right?

LMAOROTF SCOTC

(spitting coffee on the computer) laughed so hard.

DonFL wrote:

That show didn't even exist at the time. And we never stayed in the crime scene labs, just dropped off the body, laid it on the table and left.

So no, we did not solve any crimes, wasn't our job, ours was to pick up and remove the body from the scene and transport to the specified location given us.

AS sad as it is to say, I just did that last night. Guess I have done it enough times now that the morgue doesn't bother me anymore. Or the white rooms at funeral homes.

Frybread wrote:

AS sad as it is to say, I just did that last night. Guess I have done it enough times now that the morgue doesn't bother me anymore. Or the white rooms at funeral homes.

I'll bet if we really described some of those bodies that we've had to pick up, folks would be very surprised that those TV crime shows aren't at all that realistic in that sense, they do come somewhat close at times, but if they showed what some of the bodies we've picked up from time to time, well, they'd just never show that on regular tv programming. Even cable has its limits too when it comes to these kinds of "real crime scenes", not fabricated for TV or re-enactments that never show what the body really looked like.

Especially when you have to don surgical type gowns, gloves and sometimes a respirator to pick up a body from a found crime scene and the body has been there for weeks, sometimes months.

Orville wrote:

George Simmons wrote:
Orville wrote:

We took them to military installations and they created zombie soldiers like in the movies George.    Sorry, but you really opened yourself up for that one.:);)

But in all reality what we did with them was they were taken to the Morgue at the hospital,  taken directly to a funeral home, but depending on the scene, they were sometimes taken to an law enforcement crime scene lab, which when they were done investigating or whatever you want to call it they do with the body, then we would go back and re-pick up whatever was left of it and then took it to the funeral home.   

But most definitely would NOT be for those with a weak heart or queasy stomach.   I was a lot healther back then than I am now, never bothered me in the least.   Always thought it was pretty cool to do, although a few {not all} of my friends thought it was downright ghoulish and would always ask: "Do you really do that?"  or "How can you stomach to do that?"  "It's just so disgusting and gross!"

Of course I'd really gross 'em out and tell them: "Hey!, We always go and have lunch {or dinner} right after a job, seeing all those guts just makes us sooooo hungry! ROFLMAO

Okay, show of hands, how many are really feeling ill about now?:shock::P

Exactly what Police crime scene lab did you take them to? I must have missed something in all my years about taking them to a police crime lab and just dropping them on the table for them to jump right on.

rescue_653 wrote:

Exactly what Police crime scene lab did you take them to? I must have missed something in all my years about taking them to a police crime lab and just dropping them on the table for them to jump right on.

Just a specialized lab set up for forensics investigations to determine cause of death, how long the body had been in the elements, was the final resting place the actual crime scene. The labs could be makeshift, or they could be in a regular funeral home with an area set aside for the task away from the public view.

It wasn't our job to ask why or what, just where do you want us to take the body or bodies too.

Orville wrote:

rescue_653 wrote:

Just a specialized lab set up for forensics investigations to determine cause of death, how long the body had been in the elements, was the final resting place the actual crime scene.   The labs could be makeshift, or they could be in a regular funeral home with an area set aside for the task away from the public view.

It wasn't our job to ask why or what, just where do you want us to take the body or bodies too.

How long ago has this been?

rescue_653 wrote:

Orville wrote:
rescue_653 wrote:

Just a specialized lab set up for forensics investigations to determine cause of death, how long the body had been in the elements, was the final resting place the actual crime scene. The labs could be makeshift, or they could be in a regular funeral home with an area set aside for the task away from the public view.

You may be pushing Orv's memory limit on that one rescue_653:)

rescue_653 wrote:

Orville wrote:
rescue_653 wrote:

Back when BBS's were in bloom and no such thing as public access internet. Really don't recall the dates as I only did it for a very short time, probably about 2-3 months and never kept track of it.

DonFL wrote:

I'd be curious how someone like Orv gets a job like this...and did you volunteer for it?

Paid commission? Per body basis?

I got to be friends with a fellow I met through SysOp chats from my BBS I ran back before there was a public internet, back then, internet was only for government/military useage, not like it is today.

Don't recall dates, but yes, it was a paid job and I don't recall what the pay was, nor do I recall how the pay was calculated. I only did this for about 2-3 months while trying to find a position within my career field at the time.

It was interesting, but not something I'd want to ever do again. 3 months was more than enough, and even then, I was only called to assist when there was a body to be picked up, moved or transported somewhere if I was needed.

Heck, I don't even remember the guys name I worked for, it's been far too long and I haven't heard from him in so many years now that I just can't recall his name, or the name he called his services. Just been far too long for my old brain to remember.

The only reason this whole part even jogged my memory was because I watched a show called Bones and it sort of reminded me of my days of picking up bodies from crime scenes and where we transported them too.

Orville wrote:

rescue_653 wrote:
Orville wrote:
rescue_653 wrote:

Back when BBS's were in bloom and no such thing as public access internet. Really don't recall the dates as I only did it for a very short time, probably about 2-3 months and never kept track of it.

That was your whole "body of work"? Just two months? :D

Orville wrote:

BTW: This thread really gone off the deep end! Talk about a thread hijack!:shock:

Keep going..we're only a quarter of the way thru your life story...