Light-O-Rama Forums

Watch out for Greatleds

plasmadrive

All we asked for is a link to the product you are bashing. Two reasons why one is not being posted... 1) You ordered the product and not reading the full description 2) You're shifting the blame for a small mistake If this type of pixel is something not currently supported by the latest hardware, one of those providers might be able to solve the problem. Until then, I'm ruling this out as operator error until I can see more evidence. I'm basing an opinion on what has been presented before me. Without the company and product information... it is what it is.

I am not bashing a product.. only how a company responds to problems with their product..

You are of course welcome to rule it however you see fit. I am ok with that.. Doesn't hurt my feelings..

I didn't come here to present evidence... only my experience.. take it with a grain of salt if you wish..

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• plasmadrive

• rescue_653

• shfr26

• edvas69

So how am I suppose to know what product not to buy if you don't tell us what it was??? Just asking.

Anything from Greatleds if you believe what I am telling you. If you don't know who they are, I doubt you are buying their stuff.

Again, I am not warning about a product specifically.. but rather a company

DevMike wrote:

IMHO, I didn't see anyone asking for advertising here. Just more info so they could have helped you.

FYI... If there is anything that I have learned being a software guy it's that even 2 well trained people can be wrong sometimes. You should NEVER feel insulted when people offer to help, even when you believe yourself to be a master in your field. Being in the field for nearly 30 years (first person who makes a punch-card joke is going to be smacked), a single day has not gone by where someone didn't teach me something.

The people that posted were trying to help in their own way. They can't help you get your money back, but they could have helped to salvage what you already have invested.
Mike,
I have made plenty of mistakes.. Although if you learn from your mistakes, I can't understand why I am not a damn genius yet! :shock:
I am no mastermind, nor am I an amateur in my field. But I do know when a company should step up and make good.. and they didn't do that. I really haven't lost any sleep about the few hundred dollars that I spent with them or our time.. what I do care about is how they refused to step up because they didn't understand how to fix the issue.

Punch cards??? Really? LOL! that was back when I went to college... ;)

Now I am nervous to ever buy pixels since I am worried I too will buy the wrong thing. Unlike you, I would rather not waste "a few hundred dollars" since it would cause me to lose sleep. I understand your point to avoid GreatLEDs but I would also like to learn more about what product to avoid. I am sure other companies sell the exact same product (since they all come from China) and I don't want to make the same mistake. So even if dealing with a reputable seller, if the product won't work right, the product won't work right. That is why I would hope you would just post what you bought so I don't buy the same or similar thing elsewhere. Thanks.

The company does not make the strips, Im certain they our source the product just as the rest of the LED's we buy. The reason a link would provide help is becuase of the IC onboard. It may be another chipset and the seller is no wiser to know the difference. Perhaps even a photo from you would shed light on the subject. If we cant figure it out we have resources to at least tell us what the issue was. Perhaps it was a 3001 IC or 2811 and so on. A link to the product would stop all of that. Why do people lean to error on your end, becuase your not helping us prove otherwise.

There will be more companys selling LED's as time goes on, having the knowledge of what doesnt work helps just as much as what does work. No reason to get defensive about it. We all want to know whats going on, a 6803 is a certain chipset that we use. It would benefit us if we know why out of the hundreds of combos we use why doesnt this one work with our controllers?

Ill ask it again, can you provide a link to exactly what you purchased. Lights and controller. Or if you cant do that, how about a picture of the controller you are using and the picture of the IC on the strip. I dont know if your on other lighting forums, but on one of them there is a mad scientist which I 100% believe he will have the answer to why it did not work.

No reason to be hostile, you want to provide us with help. Then give us the info that will actually help us. Everyone has had a run in with a bad product, does that mean they are 100% bad?

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Now I am nervous to ever buy pixels since I am worried I too will buy the wrong thing. Unlike you, I would rather not waste "a few hundred dollars" since it would cause me to lose sleep. I understand your point to avoid GreatLEDs but I would also like to learn more about what product to avoid. I am sure other companies sell the exact same product (since they all come from China) and I don't want to make the same mistake. So even if dealing with a reputable seller, if the product won't work right, the product won't work right. That is why I would hope you would just post what you bought so I don't buy the same or similar thing elsewhere. Thanks.

Exactly the point I made above.

GoofyGuy wrote:

The company does not make the strips, Im certain they our source the product just as the rest of the LED's we buy. The reason a link would provide help is becuase of the IC onboard. It may be another chipset and the seller is no wiser to know the difference. Perhaps even a photo from you would shed light on the subject. If we cant figure it out we have resources to at least tell us what the issue was. Perhaps it was a 3001 IC or 2811 and so on. A link to the product would stop all of that. Why do people lean to error on your end, becuase your not helping us prove otherwise.

There will be more companys selling LED's as time goes on, having the knowledge of what doesnt work helps just as much as what does work. No reason to get defensive about it. We all want to know whats going on, a 6803 is a certain chipset that we use. It would benefit us if we know why out of the hundreds of combos we use why doesnt this one work with our controllers?

Ill ask it again, can you provide a link to exactly what you purchased. Lights and controller. Or if you cant do that, how about a picture of the controller you are using and the picture of the IC on the strip. I dont know if your on other lighting forums, but on one of them there is a mad scientist which I 100% believe he will have the answer to why it did not work.

No reason to be hostile, you want to provide us with help. Then give us the info that will actually help us. Everyone has had a run in with a bad product, does that mean they are 100% bad?

A very eloquent reply.

I too want to see a link, and I wouldn't call posting a link here advertising. Furthermore, I know that several circumstances exist that can and will cause flicker from improper utilization. The number of components in a node is very small and variations between node manufacturers would not be great which further concerns me.

Well I have no idea what strips the OP purchased since they refuse to tell us, which I just absolutey can not understand why the secrecy.

But for those that want to take a look at the GreatLeds Website Product Line of RGB strips, here's the link directly to them:

http://www.greatleds.com/en/product.asp

Again, won't tell us which one the OP purchased, but from what I can see of them, they all look like they *should* work with LOR controllers to me. I could be mistaken as I don't have an RGB controller to play around with or RGB strips, but maybe others here can view the sites product line and know for sure.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

They assured me they make their own pixels in their own factory and backed it up with certificates. I have some from Ray Wu's pixels and they are not the same.

I no longer have the links bookmarked and to be honest with you, the part number is the same part number that was being proposed for sale by someone else and if it is not the same part, I could be damaging their business without that being my intention. I would just buy from someone that is reputable and don't lose any sleep over it. That way if there is a problem, they will cover you.

GoofyGuy wrote:

They don't make strips.. true statement, unless they have changed.

I don't even have the links bookmarked anymore and when I found them the first time it was a hunt. When I finally washed my hands of them, I went all the way.

It is a 6803 chip. The controller they sold me with it that actually will run them correctly is a T-8000. The problem is that it is self contained and runs from a Flash Drive. Every other 6803 controller failed to run them properly. Even our custom software and hardware was not set up to run them correctly. Every other 6803 pixel runs fine from all the other controllers and from our own.. These address fine, they dim fine.. they just strobe (to the set level) all the time except at 100%.

I got three strings.. like I said, they run from their own controller.. and so on... So I don't believe they are bad, as in failed...

Orville wrote:

Well I have no idea what strips the OP purchased since they refuse to tell us, which I just absolutey can not understand why the secrecy.

But for those that want to take a look at the GreatLeds Website Product Line of RGB strips, here's the link directly to them:

http://www.greatleds.com/en/product.asp

Again, won't tell us which one the OP purchased, but from what I can see of them, they all look like they *should* work with LOR controllers to me. I could be mistaken as I don't have an RGB controller to play around with or RGB strips, but maybe others here can view the sites product line and know for sure.

There you go! I gave you guys the name.. finally someone just looked it up. I think they only have one smart pixel... I refuse to go back to that website. Can ya tell they pissed me off! ;)

Quite frankly I only wanted to do my OP and that was it.. this was far more time consuming then it had to be.. or then I wanted it to be.

I think the lesson here is when buying any RGB lights you should buy from people who have been tried and tested with known compatible products.

Ive seen many times where people have gone their own route trying to save a few dollars with an unknown source with different products only to get stung. If your new to the pixel world then you should follow the path of those that have walked before you because I can tell you many of them have learnt by trial and error by getting samples and understanding the specifiactions of IC chips and then have shared that knowledge to others.

There is no shortage of tried and tested solutions that can fit anyones budget and system design. So i see no reason for people taking great risk with products and vendors that just dont cut it.

As for the OP, I have not heard of any 6803 pixels that require a different method of communication because if it was following the 6803IC spec sheet then it should be compatable, and thus my interest in the link or information regarding these pixels.

Over the years i have seen many attempts of people venting personal greifs about vendors through the forums without any substance or fact and this is unfair to the vendor if there is nothing to back up the claims because in reality all we have to go on is the word of the poster and nothing else.

Well if these are the ones you bought - click link below for details on them:

http://www.greatleds.com/en/product-xx.asp?id=46

These should very well work with LOR DC Controllers, even though I don't own any of them, I thought about purchasing some because I have seen videos around that have used them with LOR DC controllers.

These are 5v pixels, again see link above for technical info from the website.

And here's a photo of them:

Attached files 317060=17290-RGB Smart Pixel.jpg

Orville wrote:

These should very well work with LOR DC Controllers, even though I don't own any of them, I thought about purchasing some because I have seen videos around that have used them with LOR DC controllers.

DC controller????

plasmadrive wrote:

Orville wrote:

DC controller????

YES, DC CONTROLLER: http://store.lightorama.com/cmdedcca2.html

Or the LOR CCR Controller. Sorry couldn't find a link to the CCR Controller, but I think LOR does sell this as a seperate entity.

edvas69 wrote:

These will not work with a DC controller as they show an IC in the picture unless the picture is incorrect

yes they have an IC, but why would that make them not work with a DC Controller since that is what GreatLeds sells to use with these, a controller that outputs DC voltage and is wired with the 4 wire method.

So I don't understand why these wouldn't work with a DC controller as long as all the commons are tied together and the the other inputs for each color are on their own channels.

Like said, I don't have any, but had been thinking about it and figured this should be something easy to set up, but because it has an IC in line, would make things more complicated, since I haven't gotten into this mess as yet, I'm just trying to search out the site and what they offer. But I'm certain I've seen these used with LOR DC Controllers in some videos I've seen, or those videos were stating incorrect information and not telling everything really needed or required to use these things.