Light-O-Rama Forums

Control a laser beamer? Creating figures?

baxxter333

Hello community,
I just got a 13 channel laser beamer with DMX and ILDA interface.
Now I wonder how to controll this laser beamer by LOR Software?
I also have the LOR iDMX controller. The laser beamer is able to create custom figures and text parts. But how can I create and control them by LOR software using the iDMX controller? Or does it only work by ILDA? Is there a way to combine them?

Would be nice if anyone has some ideas for me.

Hi,
well ok. I will write him a pn.
In his threat ist not decribed how the laser is pluged to and controlled by the LOR software.

Would be nice if anyone has a hint for me.

baxxter333 wrote:

Hi,
well ok. I will write him a pn.
In his threat ist not decribed how the laser is pluged to and controlled by the LOR software.

Would be nice if anyone has a hint for me.

I'm working on the something similiar. Here's where I'm at right now. Bought a 700mw RGB Laser, with SDCard (this is important for custom shows) and DMX from China. (I couldn't find a U.S. made laser with the specs I needed). With the DMX & SD Card you can, supposidly, create your own laser pictures/text/animations, upload those to the SD Card and, with DMX, play those animations when you want.

Here's the problem I've ran into. The Laser animation community is VERY unorganized with how the do this. They don't play nice with each other's software/hardware. The laser I have, works only with the "industry standard" .ild formatted animations. The EXPENSIVE software I bought, creates only .ids animations (Proprietary to the software manufacture, but somewhat "standard"). Without actually purchasing other software, I have yet to find software to create the .ild files with a trial/demo version. So I'm waiting for my 2nd software purchase just to see if it'll work.

Doug

• 3 months later...

Just be very careful with lasers and where you point them. Never put them up into the sky as the FAA tends to have a little bit of an issue with it ;)

Be careful out there. The FAA takes a dim view of lasers (pun intended). The fines can be WAY more than the ones stated in this article. I work at the FAA tech center and see the reports. Just say no to outdoor lasers.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-05-16/faa-pledges-crackdown-after-laser-pointing-incidents-rise

In addition, outdoor laser shows require FDA and FAA approvals. You may also need approval from your city/town/municipality/township (you get the idea...).

D.T.

Never put them up into the sky as the FAA tends to have a little bit of an issue with it ;)

Understatement of the Century!!! :)

If you light me up, I won't be as nice as TJ... I'll be low and slow enough to identify your location, and I will be on the horn with the local Sheriff. :P

yeah, if you light me up, I'll dump the lav on your house P-)

Do you actually control when it gets dumped? Always wondered that...haha

(shaking head side-to-side..) "Yes!" ;)

Actually to dump it, the ground service guy opens an access panel in the tail, hooks up the big hose from the dump connector to the lav truck, pulls a t-handle to open the valve, and everything flows into the lav truck tank.. Buuuut.. there are a few airplanes that have a manual dump release lever right next to the pilots seat.. before we take off, we check the manifest to see if there's a specified target on our route.. and... :ph34r:

Edited by TJ Hvasta

Hi all, I know this thread is a bit old and I haven't been on here more then once since "the change" but I have a lot of insite into the laser stuff. I have been doing lasers as a hobby and semi business since 1990. I have served on the board of directors for the International Laser Display Association (ILDA). I don't do much of it now but the place to get some of your answers is the ILDA web site.

One thing to keep in mind is that anything over 5mW will require you to have a variance and equipment with same. You must report your show and depending on the circumstances you will need a letter of non objection from the FAA.

The FDA is cracking down much harder these days on illegal lasers and shows. The fines are heavy. The path to legal is a pain but free as long as your equipment complies. You also have to monitor your show 100% of the time while the laser is in play with the ability to kill it instantly should someone get in the laser path.

Now, the formats you are talking about are quick well known in the industry. Some simple research will help you along..

I had planed to put up my 17Watt white light for a show last year but alas, it is an older ion laser and requires way too much power to use for long. (480VAC 3ph 60amp max).

Good luck and have fun.

Hello community,

I just got a 13 channel laser beamer with DMX and ILDA interface.

Now I wonder how to controll this laser beamer by LOR Software?

I also have the LOR iDMX controller. The laser beamer is able to create custom figures and text parts. But how can I create and control them by LOR software using the iDMX controller? Or does it only work by ILDA? Is there a way to combine them?

Would be nice if anyone has some ideas for me.

Hi there

I have delved into the laser world recently... in short...what I've found...is that DMX can turn the laser on/off...Size...speed...rotation speed...it can start/stop a preset cue with a frame or animations.

You still need to create the frames or animations themselves.

Do you have the manual? It should tell you what each of your 13 dmx channels will control...

I found this...probably similar:

Channel #1- 0-127 Master dim (must be on/up for other functions to work.

128-206 Strobe fast - slow

207-248 Lens cycle (goes from lens to lens 1-4)

249-255 On

Channel #2- Lens #1 Change the speed of the pattern

Channel #3- Lens #1 Choose the pattern

Channel #4- Lens #1 Change the cycle of the pattern

Channel #5- Lens #2 Change the speed of the pattern

Channel #6- Lens #2 Choose the pattern

Channel #7- Lens #2 Change the cycle of the pattern

Channel #8- Lens #3 Change the speed of the pattern

Channel #9- Lens #3 Choose the pattern

Channel #10- Lens #3 Change the cycle of the pattern

Channel #11- Lens #4 Change the speed of the pattern

Channel #12- Lens #4 Choose the pattern

Channel #13- Lens #4 Change the cycle of the pattern

Hope this helps.

But...DO Heed the words of caution. Make sure your projected image is totally terminated...thus means completely shining on a surface and not into the sky or where anyone can get there eyes into the beams. &) Caution...children Love to "rush the beams!" ;)

Inside is better.

/Rant On

Its wasnt a show-grade (or even amateur) laser, but we (I) got lit up again tonight, on the way into Baltimore, at 5000'. I saw it sweep upwards and ducked below the window. IT LIT UP THE WHOLE COCKPIT CEILING. It was just too bad I didnt have one of those manual Lav dump airplanes.. :angry: Our passengers saw it too and were stunned.

Without any preaching, you really, really, have to understand that, done at the wrong time, a laser can kill a lot of people. We get blinded, a plane goes down. And if it doesnt go down, then you've quite possibly permanently disabled someone. I absolutely can not stress this strongly enough. If you are seriously contemplating a laser for your show, you -have- to know what's "behind" your show area. Just like shooting a gun, KNOW whats behind your target area. And if you're near an airport, dont even think about it.

A bullet may fall after a mile or more, but a laser beam is like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps going and going and going..

/Rant off (for now)

Edited by TJ Hvasta