Light-O-Rama Forums

dmx moving head problem

allnjns

I just received some moving head wash lights that I am attempting to sequence I have them connected through the LOR IDMX-1000. The problem I am having is when I set them to a certain intensity ex. the x/y axis they move from the starting point as far as they can then back to where they started they will not stay at a certain angle. Is there something that I am doing incorrectly? Thanks!

I have two moving head lights that I am using the Idmx controller and have no problem

I don't actually have a sequence that I am using I first tried the Hardware console then just some different levels of intensity in an animation sequence which I didn't save.

Ok I spoke too soon I am now back where I started I did make a simple sequence that they did not work with. They only worked in the hardware utility if I reset the idmx1000 while they were running.

allnjns wrote:

Sorry I forgot to include the sequence file.

For starters, if you are using V3, I would turn on "Allow DMX Editing", and set DMX levels. (Question: The iDMX1000 supports this, right?) This would make sure LOR doesn't multiple the percentages in undetermined ways.

Your sequence seems to move the fixture immediately upon startup to bottom center, then sweep to top center over 2.9 seconds. At that point, it should quickly move to center, where it will stay for 11.65 seconds, and then quickly move to bottom center again.
It will stay at bottom center for 9.05 seconds, and which point it will quickly move to bottom left, where it will stay.

If that is not what is happening, what does happen?

After lots and lots of time and red bull I have gotten it fixed. Thank you for all of your help with this. Also the IDMX is recognized as a regular LOR controller so I can't allow dmx editing.

I just have one more question regarding the $6 dmx modules you can buy for RGB lights am I correct in assuming that these have to be connected to a dmx output from my pc and can't be connected to a cat5 cable that comes out of my RJ45 serial adapter like a standard LOR controller box would?

allnjns wrote:

regarding the $6 dmx modules you can buy for RGB lights am I correct in assuming that these have to be connected to a dmx output from my pc and can't be connected to a cat5 cable that comes out of my RJ45 serial adapter like a standard LOR controller box would?

Yes, these DMX modules require a DMX input. Using LOR, this DMX signal can come from an iDMX1000 or a DMX output. You can configure a LOR USB-485 as a DMX output device, however it can't send LOR and DMX at the same time. To switch it to DMX, you open the Network Preferences dialog, un-select it from the LOR networks, save, quit, restart, then select it as a DMX universe.

I have determined experimentally that if you connect one of these DMX modules to an LOR network, that strange things will happen.

allnjns wrote:

After lots and lots of time and red bull I have gotten it fixed. Thank you for all of your help with this. Also the IDMX is recognized as a regular LOR controller so I can't allow dmx editing.

I just have one more question regarding the $6 dmx modules you can buy for RGB lights am I correct in assuming that these have to be connected to a dmx output from my pc and can't be connected to a cat5 cable that comes out of my RJ45 serial adapter like a standard LOR controller box would?

I am glad you got it working, however, I would be interested in what you needed to do to fix this?

In my personal experiences, hooking an iDMX up has had some issues, but nothing like you described. Most of the issue involve changing the ID to have it work in DMX512 mode and somehow the identity getting lost. I would rename it to something other than the factory default of E0.

Also, all iDMX's ARE seen as LOR controllers, however the Hardware Editor does acknowledge which controller is found, per the picture below.

Attached files 311559=17032-LOR-iDMX.bmp

• The topic was locked