Light-O-Rama Forums

diagram for 5050 RGB LED setup

dito

ok, i am overwhelmed at this point considering RGB LED vs individual ropelights. i know the RGB will be MUCH lighter to put on my roof line and millions more colors than rope lights (non RGB). cost will probably be less with RGB vs individual ropelights.

so far i have gathered that i will need at least the following:

5050 RGB Strips http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209843764-329544925/5m-one-roll-5050-SMD-30LEDs-m-led-strip-waterproof-by-silicon-tubing-and-coating-RGB.html .

at least one power supplies http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209855560-289599951/350W-Dual-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-88-264VAC-input-12V-350W-output-CE-and-ROHS-approved.html .

And you can control the strip using the LOR controller http://store.lightorama.com/cmdedcca2.html

power wire for the strip (from the power supply I THINK)? 4 wire/speaker wire CL2 rated 100' http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023904&p_id=4043&seq=1&format=2

so my questions are:

-how do i get power to the power supply? do i plug a car battery to it or do i have to buy a plug/converter/adapter that plugs/connects to the power supply? I've heard i can use old computer power supply, what? how? ugh!

-where the hell does the power supply go in line with the other components? does it only plug into the "power input" of the LOR?

-how do i physically connect the LOR controller to the RGB strips? would i take up 3 channels/strip? for example channels 1,2,3 all go to same strip? but what about the common anode?

if someone has a drawing or technical "map"/diagram, it would be really helpful and GREATLY appreciated!

ok, so i am pretty sure i got the power wire explenation wrong. i THINK the power wires (4wire) go from LOR controller to RGB string, but I am still not sure how you would only use 4 wires for 3 channels. 1 channel for each positive, and a shared negative (common anode)? but do you just hook up to any negative, or...?

You are almost right. Have a look at this photo, I just quickly put it together to give you an idea of how to do it.

The 4 wire go from the channels out to your strip.

The strip uses a common positve.

Each colour Red, Green, Blue wire uses one negitive channel of your LOR board and the Black wire goes to the positive of one the three channels.

Attached files 305329=16753-RGB Basic set up LOR.JPG

dito wrote:

ok, i am overwhelmed at this point considering RGB LED vs individual ropelights. i know the RGB will be MUCH lighter to put on my roof line and millions more colors than rope lights (non RGB). cost will probably be less with RGB vs individual ropelights.

so far i have gathered that i will need at least the following:

5050 RGB Strips http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209843764-329544925/5m-one-roll-5050-SMD-30LEDs-m-led-strip-waterproof-by-silicon-tubing-and-coating-RGB.html .

at least one power supplies http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209855560-289599951/350W-Dual-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-88-264VAC-input-12V-350W-output-CE-and-ROHS-approved.html .

And you can control the strip using the LOR controller http://store.lightorama.com/cmdedcca2.html

power wire for the strip (from the power supply I THINK)?  4 wire/speaker wire CL2 rated 100'  http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023904&p_id=4043&seq=1&format=2

so my questions are:

-how do i get power to the power supply? do i plug a car battery to it or do i have to buy a plug/converter/adapter that plugs/connects to the power supply? I've heard i can use old computer power supply, what? how? ugh!

-where the hell does the power supply go in line with the other components? does it only plug into the "power input" of the LOR?

-how do i physically connect the LOR controller to the RGB strips? would i take up 3 channels/strip? for example channels 1,2,3 all go to same strip? but what about the common anode?

if someone has a drawing or technical "map"/diagram, it would be really helpful and GREATLY appreciated!

The 12 power supply is actually a power converter. You will need a three wire 110v male end (maybe off an old extension cord). Connect ground, neg and pos correctly and off you go. Run your red and black wire from the output side to you LOR pannel.

Quick thank you to Andrew and Troy.

I have been wanting to test the RGB waters and didn't know how everything connected to the controller. Being a visual person, the pics were awesome.

I just bought a power supply from Season Entertainment, 3 test pixels from Holiday Coro and the controller from LOR.

What about your end caps? How you plan to attach the ends? Or do you plan on powering each strip indiviually?? Just curious... I've been doing some research over RGB aswell.
Just making sure im on the right track too. And possibly helping others think outside the box for materials needed.
My customers hate when they get sold something for their Harley & have to come back to buy a gasket or a bolt...

Also while Im thinking on this..

You can only control 5 (5) meter strips with a single controller depending on the length the controller is from the strips?

So with that question. In order to control 10 strips (5)meters each I would need a minimum of 2 controllers & how many power supplies?

Thanks

Johnny

hdracer wrote:

Also while Im thinking on this..

You can only control 5 (5) meter strips with a single controller depending on the length the controller is from the strips?

So with that question. In order to control 10 strips (5)meters each I would need a minimum of 2 controllers & how many power supplies?

Thanks

Johnny

That is correct one controller will run five RGB strips two controllers will run 10 and three controllers will run 16 strips. One of the power supplies should have 3 + + + and 3 - - - terminals which you may run 3 controllers with one power supplies.

hdracer wrote:

What about your end caps?
I have not gotten that for because I am only planning on planning on using each strip individually.

How you plan to attach the ends? You really don't want to connect strips together equaling more 16.3 feet. When you go longer then 16.3 feet you get a power drop and the second strip. Meaning the second strip will be dimmer than the first.

hdracer wrote:

What wattage power suplly could handle up to 3 controllers sufficently with 16 (5) meter strips?
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209855560-289599951/350W-Dual-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-88-264VAC-input-12V-350W-output-CE-and-ROHS-approved.html is a good power supply. Remember is it a power converter; so it converts 110v into 12V. You are plugging the power converter into a normal 110v outlet. Each of the 3 outputs will produce 3 individual 12v sources

So if I want to do around my windows & each window is 6ft. ea side & 4ft. top & bottom, which equals 20ft. What would be my options? Also as far as the ends in the windows I would need caps that carry the 4 wire ends to connect the corners in each window? Does Ray Wu carry the ends that make this happen?
Last question.. RGB is like LED, you can only run the power from one way through the lighting, not both ends?

Can someone elaborate more on the programming required?

From the pictures given so far, I understand the 5 strips per controller (which oddly enough I happen to have for another project that never came to pass)

1 strip = 3 channels (1 Red, 1 Green, 1 Blue) x 5 strips = 15 channels... If my Jethro Bodine cipher machine is working correctly...

So programming is

Channel 1 = Strip 1, Red

Channel 2 = Strip 1, Green

Channel 3 = Strip 1, Blue

Channel 4 = Strip 2, Red ..

etc etc etc...

I can see a LOT of time, trial and effort in LOR S2. Does S3 provide a less than brute force method?

Pricing on the strips doesnt look bad, power supplies.. I have, controller I have...

Bob

this maybe a stupid question and if anyone wants to laugh at me go ahead i can take it lol

but is it as easy as me adding a CMB16D-QC to the 4 CTP16PC i already have and just programme it to be box 5 in the line ????

Troy Mann wrote:

hdracer wrote:
What about your end caps?
I have not gotten that for because I am only planning on planning on using each strip individually.

How you plan to attach the ends? You really don't want to connect strips together equaling more 16.3 feet. When you go longer then 16.3 feet you get a power drop and the second strip. Meaning the second strip will be dimmer than the first.

That is not completely true. I actually double up my strips on the same controller for my display and had zero signs of dimming on the second strip. However, I did not double up on every channel...about half. I used the LOR DC board, 30A DC power supply, 18AWG 4-wire for the power feeds and only about 20ft of wire between. I also just recently did the same and the run was like 50ft...I was a little worried, but showed no problems.

Just make sure you do your own testing and take power reading. Hate for you to set up and then it doesnt work.

hdracer wrote:

So if I want to do around my windows & each window is 6ft. ea side & 4ft. top & bottom, which equals 20ft. What would be my options?

I don't think you will run into that big of a problem with the extra 4 feet if you tie it together as one window equals one channel.

http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=31939&forum_id=75&highlight=RGB+strip+end+caps

Show some of the tubing and end caps

Also as far as the ends in the windows I would need caps that carry the 4 wire ends to connect the corners in each window?

Does Ray Wu carry the ends that make this happen? Yes

Last question.. RGB is like LED, you can only run the power from one way through the lighting, not both ends?

I believe you are correct. Unless I am missing something

digdeepfundraising wrote:

this maybe a stupid question and if anyone wants to laugh at me go ahead i can take it lol

but is it as easy as me adding a CMB16D-QC to the 4 CTP16PC i already have and just programme it to be box 5 in the line ????
That's all you have to do (as long as the DC controller unit number is set to 5 as well)