Light-O-Rama Forums

Record Visualizer

scubado

Is there a way to video record the visualizer playback using software on computer instead of pointing a video camera at the monitor? Sort of like Print Screen, but video.

I just tried CamStudio and it doesn't work for this project. Camstudio has 5millisecond frame rate and the current song timings are 3 milliseconds.

scubado wrote:

I just tried CamStudio and it doesn't work for this project. Camstudio has 5millisecond frame rate and the current song timings are 3 milliseconds.

Change video frame rate in the Video Options.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

scubado wrote:

5 milliseconds is the fastest it will go. I downloaded the Beta version.

scubado wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:
scubado wrote:

5 milliseconds is the fastest it will go. I downloaded the Beta version.

I am finding otherwise--see attached screen capture.

Attached files 305300=16750-camstudiooptions.JPG

I got it to the settings you provided, but still didn't turn out well. I think my computer just can't handle playback and record at the same time. Anyhow, this was what I was trying to record: http://forums.lightorama.com/forum79/31749.html Post 17

Thanks for all the suggestions!

You are probably going to be hard pressed to record a visualization. You've already got 2 programs running (SE,Vis) that need near-real time access. The recording program is going to be #3, with the added hindrance that it is also data intensive.

You can try to help by moving the SE to another computer and sending the data over your network to a second machine. HOWEVER:

1 - That's not supported
2 - You may actually cause MORE problems with data packets being lost.

scubado wrote:

I got it to the settings you provided, but still didn't turn out well. I think my computer just can't handle playback and record at the same time. Anyhow, this was what I was trying to record: http://forums.lightorama.com/forum79/31749.html Post 17

Here you go Jim. Nice work. (I will only leave this up privately on my YT page for a week or 2, so Jim PM me your email address and I will send you the video file if you want it).

Surfing4Dough wrote:

scubado wrote:

Here you go Jim.  Nice work.  (I will only leave this up privately on my YT page for a week or 2, so Jim PM me your email address and I will send you the video file if you want it). 

Thanks for doing that! It turned out a lot better than what I was getting. How big is the video file? My email may not accept if over 10meg. mr-led at charter.net

There's a lot more ideas you can use with this setup, just thought I'd share a taste of what can be done. So far there is one other person doing the mega ball tree with 15 balls.

:cool:

scubado wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:
scubado wrote:

Here you go Jim. Nice work. (I will only leave this up privately on my YT page for a week or 2, so Jim PM me your email address and I will send you the video file if you want it).

Thanks for doing that! It turned out a lot better than what I was getting. How big is the video file? My email may not accept if over 10meg. mr-led at charter.net

There's a lot more ideas you can use with this setup, just thought I'd share a taste of what can be done. So far there is one other person doing the mega ball tree with 15 balls.

:cool:

I just sent it to you (2 emails, 2 files--one bigger than the other).

• 1 month later...

This post caught my eye cause I recorded my Visualizer output last year and was showing the video at work before I ever received any equipment. Video gamers like me have been using Fraps to capture video for years. It's really easy to use...after it's up and running you just hit a function key to start and stop video capture and you see a FPS (frames per second) overlay while it's recording. Anyways it 's another option for anyone interested.

http://www.fraps.com/

scubado wrote:

And regarding the sample rates I wouldn't worry about trying to go faster than 5ms. That's 200Hz and you're eyes cannot even detect changes at that rate so trying for 333Hz (3ms) is wasting hard drive space.

Tried Microsoft encoder--no love
Tried CamStudio--no love
Bought Camtasia--it is the real deal

It was tough to get a good recording of the Visualizer via a screen capture tool. I was pointing the camera at the screen. Pretty much I bought a computer with a newer NVIDIA GeForce graphics card and it does it just fine, even with some other programs running.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-fszmyKCVR25y6AVqMm2VzS22m7ce8mhHeweqGjtq6KVs8raN

I use SnagIt's video option and it produces fine screen caps.

I would gather both Camtasia and Jing would provide similar results (albeit with different settings and customisation perhaps!) as all three programs are made by the same company (TechSmith).

The videos are mostly smooth, although colour fading RGB elements (vs overlapping individual colours) seems to be a little jerky when not rendering white.

Observe*:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UHliwwx9sU&hl=en&fs=1

* The sequencing is majorly unfinished. But it does show the results of videocapping the screen. I'd gather results would be unsatisfactory if not running at least a dual core machine.

In trying to us MS Expressions I get the video ok, but so far absolutely no audio. Expressions has audio selected, highest level, no audio channels are muted - and set at normal levels, and the music plays normally.
I am reviewing MS Expressions boards now to see if I can find a resolution. Any ideas ? (WinXP w/Creative SB Audigy card)