Light-O-Rama Forums

Video projector display full of white spots and getting worse

Denise Brunner

About a week ago I notice three white dots in my projector screen. At first it looked like BB holes in my screen, looking closer I found that it is white spots being projected. Each night now it is getting worse, to the point tonight that there are about twenty spots. Any ideas what is going on and is there any repair.

Thanks, and Happy New Year !!

Try projecting another source. If the same spots are in the same locations than it may be the projector. If you have a LED projector, those spots are pixels that have gone bad.

The same thing happened recently with my 18 month-old Viewsonic DLP projector and more dots appeared after a couple of days of projecting virtual Santa. Fortunately the projector has a 3 year warranty, so I called up and got an RMA to return it for repair.

If you google the issue, you'll see that it is a pretty common problem with the projector. Is it Viewsonic or DLP?

According to Amazon, the EP721 has a 1 year warranty...

But it is a DLP projector like mine, and someone online said that the white dot probllem is with the "mirrors" that are on the DLP chip...

If it is out of warranty, it is going to be an expensive fix. Its not going to be worth fixing, so start looking for a new projector. The DLP chip is the heart of the projector, and is very expensive.

Denise Brunner wrote:

great !!! and I purchased a spare bulb this year just in case
Ebay is your best friend especially since you bought a spare bulb. A used projector doesn't look to be expensive at all.