Light-O-Rama Forums

Whole House FM Transmitter - Poor Range, how to extend?

mcmason

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Max-Paul

• MarkV

• mcmason

• Greentree38

Perhaps if LOR didn't have this as the only model to sell on their site...that might dissuade people from purchasing...just a thought?? Input?

thevikester wrote:

Perhaps if LOR didn't have this as the only model to sell on their site...that might dissuade people from purchasing...just a thought?? Input?

+1

Unfortunely, I think that this is one of the few transmitters that might actually be FCC approved.

One of the problems with this WHT is that cause it is down in the 15 or so milliwatt transmitters. It is very touchy in its installation. Antenna is the correct length, and not detuned by being installed next to lets say a window frame or wires in the wall. And that there is no air ducts or metal cabinets that would block or redirect the Radio waves. Also over driving the audio signal will decrease the effectiveness of the signal also.
So, I will stand by my original statement that the transmitter is a piece of dung. I understand why LOR sells this WHT. And I cant and wont speak of QC. So, maybe not all WHTs are created equally.

huskerhoule wrote:

open the battery compartment, remove the white, usually QC sticker, you'll find a a slide switch - slide it to the other side (I read this from another thread in this forum)

Lets just say this works.:D

I *almost* bought the WHT when I started 2 years ago, glad I read through the forums and ASKED questions on what folks thought about this unit, otherwise I'd have been a very unhappy camper when it came to transmitting my show.

I did buy an Mobile Black Box Eclipse 4000 since it was at the time highly recommended, but then when I started seeing the FCC Rules and Regulations on unlicensed transmitters, I was, let's say, a little more than concerned about the unit I had purchased. It was transmitting way too far (5 mile radius at times, not all the time, but even just once or twice was too many for me).

Fortunately with the help of all the folks here I was able to curtail that down to a reasonable distance, just 1-2 houses around me and it wouldn't even get to the next street over. Fixed with a little 10dB attenuator between the antenna jack and the antenna itself.

I'd rather have had to do this than have a possible visit from the FCC folks. (I know that's NOT an issue with the WHT, most folks can't seem to get but a few feet distance out of the WHT.)

Now I am going to replace the MBB Eclipse 4000 with an EDM unit as that seems to be the one that the majority here recommend, even to the new folks on the block. I'll keep the MBB, it'll be utilized as a back up unit in case for some reason the EDM would happen to fail during the season it would be in use.

WHT from everything I've read, like Max-Paul and many, countless others here have said, it's junk. Could have saved yourselves some grief and just added about $25 or so more and gotten an EDM unit.

Definitely what I'm going with for next years (2012) display!

I bought one of the WH2 units and had the same issues until I found the thread about the secret switch.. Now it words fine..

However, bought a couple of units from China before I found out about the switch.. they are also working fine and they were only about $50-60 each.

If the WH2 had a real antenna instead of that long wire, I would have kept running it.

This story is from Mwhite7097 in another thread:
This year has been amazing and I would like to share a story also. I normally stay inside during shows, but one show, I could hear the music playing very loudly outside. My house is over 200' from the road. So I went out to investigate why they were playing it so loud. To my surprise, the car windows were rolled up and it was still very loud. The parents were outside the car and a small girl was inside. As I walked up to ask them to turn it down a bit, they explained that the girl was deaf and by turning it up loud, she can "feel the music" from the bass beats. It turns out that they were at the show before and she couldn't wait to go again. I think I may have made it into the house before the floodgates opened up but I am not sure. If anyone of you decorators get to wondering why we do this, well, I found my reason this year!

I see this as THE best reason to get an EDM transmitter. The cheaper transmitters don't have the specs or the respect that the EDM carries.

scubado wrote:

This story is from Mwhite7097 in another thread:
This year has been amazing and I would like to share a story also. I normally stay inside during shows, but one show, I could hear the music playing very loudly outside. My house is over 200' from the road. So I went out to investigate why they were playing it so loud. To my surprise, the car windows were rolled up and it was still very loud. The parents were outside the car and a small girl was inside. As I walked up to ask them to turn it down a bit, they explained that the girl was deaf and by turning it up loud, she can "feel the music" from the bass beats. It turns out that they were at the show before and she couldn't wait to go again. I think I may have made it into the house before the floodgates opened up but I am not sure. If anyone of you decorators get to wondering why we do this, well, I found my reason this year!

I see this as THE best reason to get an EDM transmitter. The cheaper transmitters don't have the specs or the respect that the EDM carries.

Great story! Thanks for sharing. I love it.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I do agree with everyone that Ramsey and the other brands of transmitters are the MUCH better way to go and I will move in that direction. My WHT is working like a champion for my situation as a first year light show sequencer. The previous story regarding the girl and the loud music is awsome! Merry Christmas everyone!

Merry Christmas everyone! I have been using the Holiday Lightshow for the past 4 years for my lights. It has been been a lot nicer than just plain lights. But after watching all the light shows on YouTube I've decided to start getting together the LOR for next year. I had just run my sound thru my stereo with 4 speakers placed around outside for people to enjoy (even tho the show only works great with the built in songs). I tried to keep the volume down to an acceptable level, but to some neighbors there is no acceptable level. So I decided to start with an FM transmitter as my first new investment. I bought the WH2 and as many of you were I as well was disappointed by its output. So I started reading more up on it. As stated the extra antennae was for international use, but when you read about tuning the antannae to the frequency, how could it work properly without it. So i attached it and was using 88.5 so the length was perfect for that staion without cutting it. It still was weak and could only reach to my sidewalk so I continued reading more on it and found a post talking about the little white switch inside the battery compartment, flipped it and viola, a whole new experience was springing from it!!!! I could now get in my car and drive 2 blocks away and using the stereo setting it was clear as a bell! Now I can't wait until I start putting together an LOR show. Maybe even start at Halloween just to start learning how to sequence. Anyways sorry to be so long winded with my first post, but i look forward to reading more in here about all the things to look forward to with the LOR. Merry Christmas All

I recently bought the whale house and called their support number and they mentioned to me that there is a switch inside the transmitter which you can turn on.

I turned it on and it seems to broadcast a long way and work pretty well

I found what turned out to be my only fix for WHT, "Replace" with one from another vender. I could not get clear transmission and even then not more than 30 or 40 feet (not event the width of the property or distance to the curb).

Mine goes for about a block.. once I hit that switch it worked great. My block is really about 400-600'.
I just don't like the wire ant.

I got suckered into buying the WHT as well. Didn't go to the forums to see what people thought, just went off the fact that since it's on the LOR page it must be good.

I added the extra antenna, making the unit illegal.
I tried various frequencies, but all the settable frequencies were in use and strong.
I put the transmitter and antenna high up in a tree.
Made sure it was away from any other sources.

...and it still sucked. The 1.0 doesn't have the hidden switch.

The dirty secret is that 99/100 you can't get a clear signal to the street with a legal FM transmitter. Then you hit the Internet and find the EDM, Ramsey, Hemi, MBB, etc ranging from .5 watts all the way up to 20.

I picked up the 1/2 watt MBB, push the antenna all the way down and I get the street in front of my house nice and clear. Range is well under .25 miles which keeps the men in black from crashing through my door. If I fully extend the antenna I get about .75 to 1 mile.

I keep the WHT next to my computer just in case I get a visit. If you pick a free channel, keep the power low, and don't run 24/7 I doubt most people will have a problem.

Funny thing is most people think I'm syncing the lights to a real radio station.

CKSedg wrote:

t purser wrote:
EDM EDM EDM EDM

Amen, amen, amen, amen.

Truly the best way to fix the WHT range issue.

That said, it doesn't fix the idiocy of wanting a transmitter that will broadcast music for 3 miles, when your display can only be seen from 500 feet.

DonFL wrote:

That said, it doesn't fix the idiocy of wanting a transmitter that will broadcast music for 3 miles, when your display can only be seen from 500 feet.
Max covering his mouth, to hide a big grin. :cool: Now where is that dang "LIKE" button.

Max-Paul wrote:

DonFL wrote:

Max covering his mouth, to hide a big grin. :cool: Now where is that dang "LIKE" button.

That right there is the FM Transmitter Post of the Decade.