Light-O-Rama Forums

SS Ed - How does timing map affect sequence

awardblvr

1) How does the "Include Beat" affect sequencing?
2) How do the different Freq Settings affect the effect: Low to High, Wrap Around, etc?
3) How can I do an effect where, for instance, I do a Morph, or Comet or something, and have the beat modulate it? I.e. change the light level (intensity) to the effect?

4) What does "Sensitivity" and "Length of Effect" change?
5) What doe the "Both", "Left" and "Right" effect?

Thanks

-A

awardblvr wrote:

1) How does the "Include Beat" affect sequencing?
2) How do the different Freq Settings affect the effect: Low to High, Wrap Around, etc?
3) How can I do an effect where, for instance, I do a Morph, or Comet or something, and have the beat modulate it? I.e. change the light level (intensity) to the effect?

4) What does "Sensitivity" and "Length of Effect" change? 
5) What doe the "Both", "Left" and "Right"  effect?

Thanks

-A

I will do my best to answer the questions:

1) Include Beat - If you check 'Include Beat' an click on the 'Set Freq Spectrum' then it will select 'Beat' for at least one of the ribbons. When 'Beat' is assigned to a ribbon, the affects get applied on every beat. Realize that you can manually set any and all ribbons to 'Beat'. The 'Set Freq Spectrum' button just sets some defaults to get you started.
2) The default is for the Freq assignmest to go "low to high" meaning the first ribbons get the low notes and the last ribbons get the high notes. Again, this is just a default, you can mix and match however you want. You can assigne some low Freqs and some high Freqs to a ribbon if you want it to respond to both.
3) Currently, intensity can only be adjusted manually. Next year I will expand on this.
4) Sensitivity - a high number will trigger more effects
Length of Effects - a higher number will make the effects that get applied be longer. I call it the ritalin control, it helps make the sequence less hyperactive.
5) Left and Right are the left and right channels of the audio (stereo). Both, means it sums the left and right channels into one volume level. Note that the left and right channel are nearly identicle in most songs, but there are a few where you can see some difference.

-------- Also, below is from the help files. It may explain a little more: -------

Timing Map Description
Click on the “Timing Map” button in the Instant Sequence dialog box
A large dialog box titled “Timing Map” will appear. This dialog box gives you control over the mapping of the frequency spectrum to the ribbons which is how the timing marks get created.
Freq 1 through Freq 32
Note that there are check marks showing that Freq 1 and Freq 2 are mapped to Ribbon 1. Freq 3 and Freq 4 are mapped to Ribbon 2 and so on. On the right side of the dialog box is a piano keyboard which shows which notes the Freq’s map to.
Beat, Both, Left, Right
The default setting is “Both” meaning both the left and right channels of the stereo sound will be used when creating effects.
You can also set “Left” or “Right” to use the left or right channel of the stereo sound.
Click on “Beat” to use the beat when creating effects.
Sensitivity
Sensitivity can be set to values from 1-10. The default is 5. Setting to a higher number will create more effects. Setting to a lower number will create fewer effects.
Length of Effects
Length of Effects can be set to values from 1-10. The default is 5. Setting to a higher number will make some of the effects longer. Setting to a lower number will make some of the effects shorter. You can also think of this as the "Ritalin" setting, in that a higher number will sedate hyperactive sequences and make them more mellow.
Default Freq Settings
There are seven default freq settings that you can use. For example, click on “Stereo Low to High” and then click on “Set Freq Spectrum” and you will see the check marks and radio buttons change in the timing map so that the Left and Right channels of the stereo sound are used.
You can choose to”Include Beat” in the generation of effects.
By default “Set Theme, Color, and Movement” is selected meaning that when you click on “Set Freq Spectrum” it will also set some default values for the Theme, Color, and Movement. If you want to keep the Theme, Color, and Movement settings you have, then you would uncheck “Set Theme, Color, and Movement.

Change the Timing Map
In the “Default Freq Settings” area, click on “Stereo Low to High” and then click on “Set Freq Spectrum”
Go back to the “Instant Sequence” dialog box and click on “Sequence All”
It will ask you if you want to overwrite your existing timings, answer “Yes”
It will ask you if you want to erase the existing sequence without saving, answer “Yes”
Click on “Play/Stop All”
Notice that the ribbons on the left half have effects applied based on the left stereo channel. The ribbons on the right half have effects applied based on the right stereo channel.

Apply different sets of theme, color, and movement to different parts of the song
By default you sequence the entire song each time you click on “Sequence All” To add more variation to your sequence you can sequence just do a portion of the song. To do this:
• Launch the “Instant Sequence” dialog box by pressing Ctrl + I
• Near the top of the dialog box, click on the “Sequence the Selection Only” radio button.
• Use the Rewind or Forward buttons on the toolbar to scroll to the beginning of the region you want to sequence.
• Use a single left mouse click to mark the beginning of the region
• Use the Forward or Fast Forward buttons on the toolbar to scroll to the end of the region you want to sequence.
• Use a single right mouse click to mark the end of the region
• Before clearing the region it is a good practice to click on “Unique Save As..” This button is a quick way to save the current state of the sequence to a unique file name so you can go back to it if you need to.
• If the region is not already cleared, click on “Clear Selection without Saving”
• Click on “Roll Dice” or set the theme, color, and move variations manually.
• Click on “Sequence Selection”

Note that the “Clear Selection without Saving” uses the beginning of an effect to decide if it should be deleted. In other words, all effects whose start time falls within the selection region will get deleted.