Light-O-Rama Forums

Superstar Instant Sequence questions

awardblvr

One last question for the night, i know i saw a video you made that shows how to sequence several RGB props that SS some how remember s what it did on say the tree when yer trying to sequence regular lights? For when you dont have a high enough license, like say i have 4500 channels but only have a 3000 channel license? Cant remember what video that was.

I'm not aware of a case where superstar "remembers" what you did when sequencing a tree in relation to sequencing other lights.

I think you are also asking how to sequence 4500 channels if you only have a 3000 channel license. You can get around it by sequencing your lights in two pieces. In other words, split your display into two visualizations and export each piece separately and the combine them into one sequence using copy/paste or using one as a subsequence. Its a bit of a pain but it can be done.

Brian, on a mega tree, how do i get the text to go horizontal across the tree? with the letters side by side not stacked?

Edit, never mind, just figured out that on the font i have to choose custom.

Edited by jerry72

• 4 weeks later...

Not a question, more of a lesson i learned. last year i have very little time to get sequences made. So for this year i ma spending more time learning how to really use SS. For instance, tonight i learned not to sequence my whole show at once. For example, this year i ma going from 3 to 9 mini trees that use M5 lights. I ran the program two separate ways, one with the whole display and the other with different locations of the display at a time. For instance, i sequenced just the 9 mini trees, then i sequenced just the windows and roof line then i sequenced the columns and candy canes, using different zones i found that you will come up with a much better show. I used Music Box Dancer as my audio, The first sequence with the display as a whole was ok, but sequencing different zones then bringing them together in the editor made world of difference.  Seeing the mini trees act as their own display made the layout better.

Not a question, more of a lesson i learned. last year i have very little time to get sequences made. So for this year i ma spending more time learning how to really use SS. For instance, tonight i learned not to sequence my whole show at once. For example, this year i ma going from 3 to 9 mini trees that use M5 lights. I ran the program two separate ways, one with the whole display and the other with different locations of the display at a time. For instance, i sequenced just the 9 mini trees, then i sequenced just the windows and roof line then i sequenced the columns and candy canes, using different zones i found that you will come up with a much better show. I used Music Box Dancer as my audio, The first sequence with the display as a whole was ok, but sequencing different zones then bringing them together in the editor made world of difference.  Seeing the mini trees act as their own display made the layout better.

There are two ways to do it. One is to create the DMX strings in the sequence editor and then copy/paste the CCRs into the DMX strings. You need to do them one at a time and only copy the 50 pixels in the CCR, do not copy the macro channels.

The other way is to create a dmx visualization. I have attached one to this reply that is a dmx visualization of a 12 CCR tree.

1) copy the attached visualization to:

c:/ (your lightorama folder) / Visualizations / Editor

2) launch the visualizer. There are 12 Props in the visualization. Each prop has the dmx keyword in the comment line. There are some default values, but you can change the values after dmx= to match your display.

You can use the visualizer to change the values, then save the visualization

3) launch superstar

4) open a sequence made for 12 CCRs with a star at the top

5) click on the File menu and select "Import Visualization" and import the attached visualization

6) click on the File menu and select "Export to Sequence Editor"

SuperStar_ControllersBottomLeft_dmx.lee

Ok, so i have a 16 string mega tree that i made following your instructions so all i have to do is just export it then copy paste. Got it.

• 2 months later...

Brian,

Looking at maybe purchasing the AlphaPix 16 from Holiday Coro. Like the idea of having just one board to run my Mega Tree and My arches. On my arches i know i can just wire up the strings in line. But on the mega tree, I will have to run 2 strands from 2 of the connections. If i was to run string one up, then wire in string 2 at the top and run it down, what does this do to my sequence? The board supports Reverse DMX addressing, but not sure if this works with a SS sequence. Would it be best to just run a lead from the first string down to the bottom of the tree and connect up the second string?

I'm not sure I follow exactly what you are saying, but the principle is that if you can make a visualization of it, then superstar will send the commands to the right pixels. In S4 the visualizer supports DMX pixels in the tree wizard. If you can make a visualization of it, superstar will map the pixels accordingly.

• 1 month later...

Brian, next year I am looking at going with Dumb RGB light strings for around the windows and a few other props. I had a suggestion, if it wouldnt require to much programming. I would like to see a button to tell superstar to use a certain set of light colors. Like say for instance, at Halloween, I would like to use only say red, orange and purple. Not sure if SS could do this in instant sequence or not.

I may have actually just answered my own question, It looks like you can choose colors in the instant sequence  dialog box. Can you tell me what to do on the set custom colors? should i set each one with just one color? I take ti each one of the four corresponds with the TCM's?

Yes, each one corresponds with one of the TCMs. You can set each one to a different color, or you can set them to multiple colors and the TCM will cycle through the colors that you have set.

The bad part about discovery this, is it makes me wish i could have gone dumb rgb this year, my 8 channel spider web and my 8 mini trees for Christmas look so freaking awesome in SuperStar

Brian,

When i open my 8 channel Web Viz file in SS, i want the Web to only use Purple, Blue and White, i set the TCM colors to use just those 3 colors, however the instant Sequence still uses other colors instead of what i want it to use. How do i go about setting juts those 3 colors?

Once again i open my mouth before exploring all options. I see where yer supposed to set it to custom colors on the TCM Color wheel. Just freaking amazing, all the options. I may have to try and make the dumb RGB work this year.

• 2 months later...

Brian, 

On a mega tree, 16 strings, i may need to run 2 string off 2 outputs each on my E682. I need the other the inputs for my arches. If  i just connect the two strings at the top, kinda like an up and over except next to each other,, do i need to do anything to a sequence i buy, or how does that work? Or should i run data cables from the top of string 1 to the bottom of string 2? Confused how SS treats that.

Make an accurate visualization of your display and superstar should be able to map the strings to the sequencing grid appropriately. So the important thing is to make sure you have a visualization that matches your display. Import it and if superstar should map the strings to the sequencing grid appropriately, and if it doesn't handle it properly email it to brian@superstarlights.com and I should be able to get it to work.

Ok, i already have a visualization made, i planned to use 1 string per output but plans changed. I will be purchasing a few sequences for this year, just wanted to make sure when i import the SUP file then export it out, that when i play it for real that those string strings i have to combine wont be upside down because they will be joined at the top.