Light-O-Rama Forums

export from Superstar

Richard R

Hi Guys
I have the new software (3.02) and I am using Superstar, but I cannot get the work I do in Superstar to export in to the sequence editor properly, when I try to put it in to a sequence the timing changes and the sequence is also changed, I have tried the paint tool but that does not seem to work either.
I have looked at the help files and the tutorial, but I am still struggling to get it to work.
any ideas as to what is wrong?
ps. I am using windows 7

What I have seen...

There may be a timing issue the first time the sequence is run and also if you are tring to play only a part of the sequence (visible screen, from cursor, etc).

Try playing the entire sequence twice. The first time it will be off a couple of seconds (at least mine was). The second time should be okay.

I don't know about the sequence being changed problem you are seeing. You could try opening the exported lms file in the LOR sequence editor (not using a sub-sequence). Check the channel configuration and see if they look like meant them to.

I sent my projects to LOR support so they could look at the timing problem. In the meantime, I was told to try the paint tool. I haven't had a chance to try that yet.

Dan

Hi Dan
I have tried to open straight in to the sequence editor but I am still having problems, it may be something I am doing, I just don’t know, but the paint tool definitely is not working at the moment.

Richard R wrote:

Hi Dan
I have tried to open straight in to the sequence editor but I am still having problems, it may be something I am doing, I just don’t know, but the paint tool definitely is not working at the moment.

I tried using the Paint Sequence feature to get the sequence into the main sequence and I could not get it to work the way I wanted either. The following
is the best way I have found to get your CCR sequence into your main sequence, the exported CCR sequences have the channels at the top as non-rgb channels, and then at the bottom the same information is repeated as RGB channels. You can ignore the RGB channels, I threw that in because it looks so pretty, but it is a repeat of the same info, you don't need to copy it.
So in summary, this is the easiest way I have found to do copy/paste:

1) In your main sequence, right click on whereever you want to insert you CCR and select "Insert Device" and insert a Cosmic Color Device. Do this for as many CCRs as you have.
2) In the exported CCR sequence, select all of the top non-rgb channel section (the section that does not have all the pretty colors). Click on the copy button.
3) Select the top left pixel of your CCR rows in your main sequence (they can be grouped or degrouped it does not matter)
4) Press the Paste button

I admit this is cumbersome to do. What I should do is have the exported files make the CCR rows grouped and then it would be much easier to copy them.

Note also, that the recommended way to get the exported CCR sequence into your main sequence is to play it as a subsequence. The following is detailed steps on how you do that:
Launch the Light-O-Rama Sequence Editor
Open your main sequence (The one that you already had before you ever even heard of SuperStar)
Right click on the first channel button at the top of your sequence.
In the popup menu, select “Insert Channels”, then select “Insert Channel Above”
Right click on the “New Channel” button that you just inserted
In the popup menu, select “Change Channel Settings”
The “Channel Settings” dialog box appears.
Change the name of the button to something like “SuperStar”
In the “Device Type” drop down, select “Sequence”
On the “Sequence” line near the bottom of the dialog box click on the “…” button
The “Open” dialog box will appear
Select the file that you exported. In this example, the exported file name was “MyAwesomeSequence.sup.lms”
Click on the “Open” button
Click on the “Ok” button in the “Channel Settings” dialog box
YOU ARE NOT DONE YET!
The sub-sequence will be played only while the grid boxes for this channel are “on”.
So you want to set the little grid boxes to “On” for the entire row all the way to the end of the sequence.
To do this, select one of the boxes on the row, Click on the Edit menu, hover the mouse over “Select”, a flyout menu appears, on the flyout menu click on “Row(s)”, right click on one of the boxes in the row and select “On” to turn the entire row “On”.
Now when you play your sequence, the subsequence will be played at the same time. You of course want the main sequence and subsequence to not try and control the same lights or the results will be unpredictable.

-Brian Bruderer

Note also, that the recommended way to get the exported CCR sequence into your main sequence is to play it as a subsequence.

I agree this is the easiest way too, but I've seen issues such as not being able to play part of the sequence and see the correct timing between SS and LOR in the visualizer. Also, the first time I play the entire sequence, the timing is off a couple of seconds.

Brian, I posted a help desk request about this - I don't know if it got routed to you or not.

Dan

DanR wrote:

Note also, that the recommended way to get the exported CCR sequence into your main sequence is to play it as a subsequence.

I agree this is the easiest way too, but I've seen issues such as not being able to play part of the sequence and see the correct timing between SS and LOR in the visualizer. Also, the first time I play the entire sequence, the timing is off a couple of seconds.

Brian, I posted a help desk request about this - I don't know if it got routed to you or not.

Dan

Yes, I saw the ticket. Playing as a subsequence has always worked for me. But if it is having problems then it is something that needs to be addressed in the LOR Sequence Editor.
As for using copy/paste, the best thing I can think of for me to do is to export the sequences grouped, then it will be easier to copy/paste them.

James Graham wrote:

I am letting SS do the full sequence for my 112 LOR channels and the two CCR's. I then export the complete file, then open it in LOR. I then go through and make changes to my liking.
James

Note that I have found some problems in the export when it is done from a visualization. The problems will be fixed soon.

James Graham wrote:

Thanks Brian, I assume you will post back here when you get the fix done?
James

Certainly will. I have several visualization files to test with made by various people so I can do some good testing now. I made my own to test with but there are so many ways to do things in the visualizer there was no way I was going to do exhaustive testing.

James,
Thanks for quick response. I looked at the options in the visualizer program and i did not see an export option. I did see a save option.

When i looked in the Superstar program, i saw an import option which had three bullets to select for the import. I didn't find anything in the help file about these bullet points.

When you said to export out of the visualizer, did you mean save it?

Thanks,
Dave B

Unfortunately, SS crashes on me any time I try to import my visualization. That's ok, though because I found out afterward that SS only sequences a number of non-RGB channels equal to the number of CCR ribbons you've purchased SuperStar for.

In other words, if you buy the two ribbon version like I did, SS will only sequence two channels. So I wound up only using SuperStar for my ribbons anyway.

I was honestly pretty shocked by this. Since a single ribbon is actually 150 channels (plus macros) I had expected SS to work with that many non-RGB channels as well. At worst, 50 channels per licensed CCR. Oh well.

aurickle wrote:

Unfortunately, SS crashes on me any time I try to import my visualization. That's ok, though because I found out afterward that SS only sequences a number of non-RGB channels equal to the number of CCR ribbons you've purchased SuperStar for.

In other words, if you buy the two ribbon version like I did, SS will only sequence two channels. So I wound up only using SuperStar for my ribbons anyway.

I was honestly pretty shocked by this. Since a single ribbon is actually 150 channels (plus macros) I had expected SS to work with that many non-RGB channels as well. At worst, 50 channels per licensed CCR. Oh well.

Please email me your visualization file (the .lee file) to brian@superstarlights.com I have already fixed several visualization bugs, I want to make sure I have fixed it for your visualization file also. There is an update release planned next week.

As for license levels, if you have no CCRs, and have a typical display of 64-256 channels, you will probably want the 4 CCR license level. If you had 4 CCRs plus 64-256 channels you would probably need the 8 CCR license level.

The more detailed explanation is:
The way the license level works is, for instance, if you have the 4 CCR version, it will support 4 CCRs, or if you do not have 4 CCRs it will support 4 sequencing rows. The sequencing rows are the green rows of squares above the visualization you imported. There are up to 50 boxes in each sequencing row. Each box represents 1-4 channels. For example, if you have a window that has red, green, blue, and white lights around it then that fixture is represented by one green box. So in the best case scenario, if you have 50 RGBW fixtures, they can be represented by one sequencing row which means you have 4 * 50 = 200 channels in that one row. With a 4 CCR license you have 4 sequencing row, so you could represent up to 4 * 200 = 800 channels. However, there are not always 50 boxes for each row in a visualization. The Instant sequence feature works best if each row of lights is put on a different sequencing row. Most displays have 3 or 4 rows of lights, for instance, one row at roof level, one row at window level, and one row at ground level. Instant sequence will do chase patterns on your non-CCR lights based on those rows. So if for instance you have 48 channels at roof level, 48 channels at window level, and 48 channels at ground level, this will use 3 sequencing rows and you will need the 4 CCR license level.
You can also choose to import your visualization so it is not sorted by rows, and usually this will make it occupy fewer sequencing rows so in the above example, you could probably put everything into 2 sequencing rows and use the 2 CCR license.

If you import some visualizations and play with the instant sequence feature, the above will be easier to understand.

Also, I realize that your current visualization hangs, so you can't see how it imports! Again, please email it to me at brian@superstarlights.com and I will make sure it works in my current code, and there will be an release of the software next week which will fix the current problems.

Hi! I, too, am having problems with the export file working with the LOR sequence. It bears a slight resemblance to what I programmed in SS, but it's a not pretty. I've done some of the steps suggested in the above posts to try to troubleshoot.

-Played it multiple times
-Opened the export file in LOR
-placed in LOR sequence as a subsequence

It looks the same regardless.

The ribbons are configured properly (I'm pretty sure)and work in the hardware utility.

Just wondering if it's possible to get a copy of the old version of the software enabled for 8 ribbons to run a comparison test. Also I can send copies of the .lms, .sup and the export file for review. Just let me know where to send them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sally

sasmuse wrote:

Hi! I, too, am having problems with the export file working with the LOR sequence. It bears a slight resemblance to what I programmed in SS, but it's a not pretty. I've done some of the steps suggested in the above posts to try to troubleshoot.

-Played it multiple times
-Opened the export file in LOR
-placed in LOR sequence as a subsequence

It looks the same regardless.

The ribbons are configured properly (I'm pretty sure)and work in the hardware utility.

Just wondering if it's possible to get a copy of the old version of the software enabled for 8 ribbons to run a comparison test. Also I can send copies of the .lms, .sup and the export file for review. Just let me know where to send them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sally

I have fixed several problems that have to do with export. There is an update release planned for leter this week. Please email your .lms and .sup to brian@superstarlights.com so I can make sure my fixes fix the problems you are experiencing.