Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR 1 in Win7-64bit

Jeff Sand

Hello, long time no login. Can anybody who's tried it answer straight yes/no if:

1) LOR 1.6.x works in 64-bit Windows 7, either natively, or with with XP Mode, or inside another virtualization of some sort?
2) Will said setup work with a USB-DB9/serial dongle?

Finally broke down in 2010 and bought a new laptop to replace the 2001 model, and I'd like to run use LOR on it if I can. Don't really need to do any new sequencing, just just basically on the controllers (hardware utility) and rewriting the SD cards if need be. Edit: Should probably have made it clearer I do NOT need to run a live show with music off this machine. All shows in production are running off an MP3 controller. This is just for minor editing and the hardware utility.

Yes, I have access to S2. No, I have no interest in porting all the sequences if I don't have to, since I've heard all the timing could be thrown off. And I prefer to never use software with activation self-destruct when I can avoid it.

Hope someone still reads the S1 section. Thanks in advance for any relevant info you can provide!

Just for the record:

1) It wasn't "all timing" that was thrown off. Some sequences might have been off by a second or so. A quick "skew track" fixed the problem.

2) Not sure what you mean by "activation self-destruct" in the software. A registered version of the software will not stop working. A registered copy will work forever. Your license would dictate whether your upgrade status to newer versions, and what features of the software are available to you. (Since you have S1, you would get the Advanced license, all the features.)

And no, I don't know if it works in W7 64bit. I would imagine it would work in a virtual environment.

Don wrote:

2) Not sure what you mean by "activation self-destruct" in the software. A registered version of the software will not stop working. A registered copy will work forever. Your license would dictate whether your upgrade status to newer versions, and what features of the software are available to you. (Since you have S1, you would get the Advanced license, all the features.)

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I'm talking about the online activation. I understand it's supposed to work forever once registered. Microsoft says the same thing about their product activation, however, and I have personally seen legitimate copies of both Windows and MS Office de-activate themselves for no reason in normal use. The latter did so while I was out in the field, in the cold, with no internet, working on an LOR display for a customer. It's not that I don't trust the LOR folks, it's just that as a network administrator I've seen plenty of "stuff" happen, and I like to eliminate as much of that stuff as possible.

If it's worth anything, I've never seen/heard of a copy of the LOR software 'unregistering' itself. Yes, there have been cases where someone went to add the license to a computer, only to find out they were at their 5 seat max.

I understand your concerns. However, (what's a nice way to say this.) they are probably a bit on the paranoid side. (This coming from someone who is also paranoid about these things, and who also knows a thing or two about networking.)

Duly noted. I know it's somewhat paranoid, but like I said it's happened to me in MS Office under purportedly impossible conditions. I'm not doing much of the professional decorating anymore, and I really just want to get the one large show up with as little hassle as possible the same as I have ever year since 2003. Keeping it simple.

..there is just no reason not to move to S2.. and as Don said, you automatically get Advanced level.. If you get "You've run out of seats for your license", it only takes a phone call (just NOT one to India) to reset everything.