Light-O-Rama Forums

Anybody know how this was achieved?

marsh28

jimswinder wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:

And zoomed slow mo version:

so what is your expert analysis?

I think I see two sets of lights..one icicle and one rooftop with the icicles being faded off...

Agree. The white lights aren't involved at all (other than for the random flash periodically). The rooftop row is either C9 type or minis that are doubled up (string folded in half or something similar). My guess is that somebody could contact Bill if they are interested in recreating such an effect themselves. It is just "academic" to me. :cool:

Surfing4Dough wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Surfing4Dough wrote:

And zoomed slow mo version:

so what is your expert analysis?

I think I see two sets of lights..one icicle and one rooftop with the icicles being faded off...

Agree. The white lights aren't involved at all (other than for the random flash periodically). The rooftop row is either C9 type or minis that are doubled up (string folded in half or something similar). My guess is that somebody could contact Bill if they are interested in recreating such an effect themselves. It is just "academic" to me. :cool:

WHAT and end all the speculation? Now what fun would that be?:cool:

Why do you guys have to punish us like this? This sequencing and design is so good I feel like hitting the Format button on my Show computer. I could sequence for years and never approach anything like this. Magical.

• 2 months later...

So, I've been kind of obsessed with this video and have been trying to replicate the "bounce" effect in it. Last night, I think I finally got it and I'll post a video soon. To get this effect, I used 3 lights strands staggered approximate 4 inches above each other. The top strand is a plain strand of minis while the bottom two strands are icicle lights. However, the harder part was getting the sequencing right (a surprising amount of fade-ups, fade-ins). Again, I'll post both the video and my sequence this weekend so people can have a gander.

marsh28 wrote:

So, I've been kind of obsessed with this video and have been trying to replicate the "bounce" effect in it. Last night, I think I finally got it and I'll post a video soon. To get this effect, I used 3 lights strands staggered approximate 4 inches above each other. The top strand is a plain strand of minis while the bottom two strands are icicle lights. However, the harder part was getting the sequencing right (a surprising amount of fade-ups, fade-ins). Again, I'll post both the video and my sequence this weekend so people can have a gander.
cool, would love to see it. I guess the original poster has been impossible to find.

It is my thinking that he has a set of regular mini's put into the edge between the roof and shingles(1 White & 1 Blue).
He then has at least 3 each down layered Soft White, Blue, White. For the bounce he goes ON the mini's, and fades bottom white up when it hits say 50% he on's top white set full and bottom set off, then fades top ice down as minis come ON.

Or possibly it is set like this
Mini White
Mini Blue
4-6 inch gap
Soft White Ice
Blue Ice
Bright White Ice

Soft White is used for chase around roof
I also think he is only going down to about 50% on Ice before 0% not a full fade down.

So with the gap it could seam like a bump/jump/bounce but I think he has done an awesome job of it. Would like one of the others to test my theory and see if I figured it out.

That also means how to drop from 50% to 0% instantly. I'm gonna play with software and see but I can't check it out with lights yet.

marsh28 wrote:

So, I've been kind of obsessed with this video and have been trying to replicate the "bounce" effect in it. 

I also have tried to replicate the effect. The light configuration I use is different than marsh28's. But I do agree, the sequencing took a lot of work to get the timing and fades 'just right'.

Jim likes to give stuff away....what is the prize going to be, sweetie? :D

LORi P wrote:

.Jim likes to give stuff away....what is the prize going to be, sweetie? :D

there's no greater prize than you!!!! :)

• 4 months later...

GS wrote:

You want the real answer or do you prefer to keep guessing?
Yes inquiring minds want to know!! Do Tell!!

OK, saw this done ,saw it in person. This display had c9s on the edge of the shingles, and ONE set of icicle lights hooked under the gutter. What you see that looks like more than one set of icicles is the reflection off the siding. Also it looks more pronounced the farther away you get.

Jerry

• 1 month later...

Try this animation sequence. It's pretty simple really. step back when using the animation window. This is not an up close effect. This is the best I've seen to match.

Attached files Bouncing lights.las

With the help here, I managed to replicate the effect, but I need to wait and see what it looks like in real life.

Torqumada

• 6 months later...

Does anyone have some more LOR sequencing examples of this effect they wouldn't mind sharing?