Light-O-Rama Forums

Anybody know how this was achieved?

marsh28

Guest Don Gillespie

Tim Herberger wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Tim Herberger wrote:
I do a bouncing roof line effect using 3 sets of icicle lights each one mounted 9" lower than the one above and on separate channels. Lots of sequencing options with these, it is one of my favorite effects...

got any links to your videos where we could see this in action?

Some of the best footage is still on my computer...:( <---- why does this sad smiley look mad???

I hate taking and editing videos but jstorms links above are good examples along with this one.

Tim definatly a neat effect now I have to try this out and i thought I was done for this year thanks a lot :(

Wow. It's been a while since I just sat and watched all of someones videos. Bill Vaughn's display in Alexandria, Virginia I ranked as one of the cleanest, along with Holdman, displays I've seen in a while imo.

Needless to say I'm blown away by the effect of the jumping icicle lights by Bill Vaughn and Tim Herberger. Spent a couple hours playing in the garage trying to reproduce the effect and this is what I've come up with. Surely an easy repro for the experts, but a pretty good effort by this newb. It isn't worthy of the originals, but I think it will suffice for my display. The sequencing information is in the video.

Software:
Light-O-Rama S2 2.9.4

Hardware:
LOR CTB16PC Using 2 channels
On top: 1 strand of LED C5 Blue from Lowes (50 cnt)
On bottom (3" offset): 1 strand of LED mini-Star Icicles Blue from Wal-Mart (75 cnt)

Music:
Chopped with Audacity: Sandstorm (Radio Edit) by Darude, Before The Storm (3:34)

jstorms wrote:

Needless to say I'm blown away by the effect of the jumping icicle lights by Bill Vaughn and Tim Herberger. Spent a couple hours playing in the garage trying to reproduce the effect and this is what I've come up with. Surely an easy repro for the experts, but a pretty good effort by this newb. It isn't worthy of the originals, but I think it will suffice for my display. The sequencing information is in the video.

Software:
Light-O-Rama S2 2.9.4

Hardware:
LOR CTB16PC Using 2 channels
On top: 1 strand of LED C5 Blue from Lowes (50 cnt)
On bottom (3" offset): 1 strand of LED mini-Star Icicles Blue from Wal-Mart (75 cnt)

Music:
Chopped with Audacity: Sandstorm (Radio Edit) by Darude, Before The Storm (3:34)

My guess is that the effect becomes even cooler the further away you are from the lights. Bill's video was shot from pretty far away (across the street at least).

I use white incan. icicle lights and blue led icicle on 2 channels. On some songs I have one color fade slow, and one flash with the beat and it made a neat effect.
After I watched the same song on video from across the street they looked way different.

My guess, is that the camera got the relection from the house blended in with the white/blue icicle lights.
That might be happening in the video.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

caniac wrote:

bump until we solve this mystery.

I thought it was solved....

one row of lights along the roof line/gutter and icicle lights...

jimswinder wrote:

caniac wrote:

not really, lots of speculation but most folks that posted their videos it just didn't look the same. some sort of sequencing trick tied to the bass track of the song.

caniac wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
caniac wrote:

not really, lots of speculation but most folks that posted their videos it just didn't look the same. some sort of sequencing trick tied to the bass track of the song.

I doubt it has anything to do with sequencing but rather environmental lighting, camera angle and distance from which one is video recording.

From a layman's eye, it looks to me that there are 2 rows of icicles. One mounted higher.
One on the gutters and one hanging from the facia.

I tend to think there were three rows of lights, sequence starts on the middle strand, then the top, then the icicles.

If you look at 2:10-2:14 in the video, you can see that he definitely has an underlying set of white icicles since he appears to cycle them across his houseline (lot of extra channels used just for that).

Surfing4Dough wrote:

If you look at 2:10-2:14 in the video, you can see that he definitely has an underlying set of white icicles since he appears to cycle them across his houseline (lot of extra channels used just for that).

I tried to download the video and put it in my video editor to slow it way down and view it frame by frame and zoom in on the lights...but no luck...

will try again this evening...

jimswinder wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:

I tried to download the video and put it in my video editor to slow it way down and view it frame by frame and zoom in on the lights...but no luck...

Here is a try:

Attached files slow mo 2.zip

Surfing4Dough wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Surfing4Dough wrote:

Here is a try:

And zoomed slow mo version:

Attached files slow mo zoomed.zip

Surfing4Dough wrote:

And zoomed slow mo version:

so what is your expert analysis?

I think I see two sets of lights..one icicle and one rooftop with the icicles being faded off...