Light-O-Rama Forums

New twist on candy cane spinners idea

kzaas

For the past 14 years I have always made my own PVC candy canes for surrounding my yards because the ones you buy are to flimsy to hold the four rows of lights that I suspend from them. This year I am considering surrounding my yard with mini arches and 2 foot north poles.

So my idea is this, some of you guys are buying those lightup candy canes to make candy cane spinners and from what I've seen using about 12 per application. I was thinking of wrapping my existing candy canes as if they were an arch and make a spinner out of those. Each candy cane would be one channel for now until I could afford more controllers and I was thinking of only using 8 canes for the spinner, would that be enough?

What do you guys and gals think?

kzaas wrote:

For the past 14 years I have always made my own PVC candy canes for surrounding my yards because the ones you buy are to flimsy to hold the four rows of lights that I suspend from them. This year I am considering surrounding my yard with mini arches and 2 foot north poles.

So my idea is this, some of you guys are buying those light-up candy canes to make candy cane spinners and from what I've seen using about 12 per application. I was thinking of wrapping my existing candy canes as if they were an arch and make a spinner out of those. Each candy cane would be one channel for now until I could afford more controllers and I was thinking of only using 8 canes for the spinner, would that be enough?

What do you guys and gals think?
ok, I am not sure what you mean by a candy cane spinner.

If you break each cane up into three sections, you would have a Robin Wheel.

Attached files 247181=13453-IMG_0578.JPG

Look at the cane spinners on George Simmons house. His have 8 channels.

Dan C wrote:

I built one early this spring. I used 12 channels.
But I alternated red and green canes.

Did you build them like I am proposing or did you use the store bought ones? If yes can you post pictures?

Yeah Brian, I would eventually like to break them into sections but I'm limited on channels right now.

I just built two 8 candy cane spinners. I thought would want more but both spinners take one controller. I was just playing with it tonight.

Brian Mitchell wrote:

Look at the cane spinners on George Simmons house. His have 8 channels.

Thanks for the plug Brian, but my candy cane pinwheel spinners are 12 channel. My "regular" spinners are 6-channel.

8 channels would be doable, but if anyone asked I'd recommend 12. I tried it both ways and preferred the look of 12. 12 also gave me the option of matching the movement of the "regular" spinners when I wanted to.

Thanks George.
I retract my previous statement.
I was wwrrooo..........w-w-w-rrr......
I may not have been correct.

Brian Mitchell wrote:

Thanks George.

Too funny

So with eight are you saying there is too much space between the canes?

kzaas wrote:

Brian Mitchell wrote:
Thanks George.

Too funny

So with eight are you saying there is too much space between the canes?

The number of canes you should use all depends on the size of the cane you are using and how you want it to look... For instance, if you were using 2 foot candy canes, 8 or 10 channels probably would work just fine and still flow pretty well, but with more "standard" 3 foot candy canes 12 channels would be required to give you that smooth movement that you are probably looking for... with less, your transitions would simply be more clunky... I'd say you should use at least 10 if you are using 3 foot canes.

kzaas, I was also wondering if (on your homemade candy canes) you painted on the red lines, or whether you used some sort of ribbon?

Also, I think it would be really cool, if, haha I should say when you wrap these canes, if you switched out some of the clear bulbs for red ones to give it that candy cane appearance, or cellophane or something... Or even better adding 3 red "twist" channels or something- that could be a cool effect.

Alas.... always more channels...

I used a pair of 8 cane spinners with opposite sides of each spinner wired together (4 channels each for a total of 8 channels). Worked out pretty good. It allowed good rotation and didn't use up a ton of channels.

Holiday coro is due out with RGB pixel candy canes later this month (based on the web site). If it comes from David you can bet it will be GREAT. His discription is "These will allow you to use pixel modules to create amazing candy canes".

Mountainwxman .....

A simple question ... what type of fencing is that u are using behind the canes ... I am doing an animated face and I am having trouble finding something in our local hardware store ... may have to go to a bigger box store.

Thanks,

Dave

I may be wrong, but that looks less like fencing and more like welded 1/4" steel rod.

Whatever it is, NICE JOB, Bill! :)

Mountainwxman wrote:

Thank you. It's welded fencing that comes in panels of 48 inches tall and 16 feet long.
Tractor Supply?

Guest wbottomley

caniac wrote:

Mountainwxman wrote:
Thank you. It's welded fencing that comes in panels of 48 inches tall and 16 feet long.
Tractor Supply?

Yep.

Mountainwxman wrote:

caniac wrote:
Mountainwxman wrote:
Tractor Supply?

Yep.
gotta love that place!! If I can't find it at Lowe's I stop by there. the better half and I went in there for T-post for a horse fence we were putting up but were feeling overwhelmed at having to use a sledge to get them in the ground. They showed us a spring loaded post pounder, 20 post - 40 minutes - done. Most of that time was spent walking to where we needed to put in another post.