Light-O-Rama Forums

North Pole(s) sorta

caniac

Orville wrote:

caniac wrote: it's my business office, have one whole office dedicated to LOR and my props. when i need some chill time or to time out, i play with my LOR stuff.

Orville wrote: Some people just have it soooooo lucky!:P
caniac wrote: don't know if i call it that, if it was at the house some items would disappear when my better half is on one of her cleaning binges. she keeps an immaculate house but when we have guest she goes into "HGTV" mode!! things disappear never to be heard from again. Only now found the remote to the tv that disappeared during one such episode a year and half ago (though it did give me an excuse to buy one of those nice Logitech ones).

If my wife did ANYTHING like that I can guarantee that WOULD be grounds for getting a DIVORCE!!!

My late mother was immaculate, very much like that, but things kept in the garage or attic were my late fathers domain, she would come out and they'd clean it out "together" and get rid of some things, but when it came to Halloween or Christmas decorations, those type things never got tossed, neither did tools or any kind.

My wife would rather I didn't have my "Halloween" decorations I use to test sequences with in our apartment living room, but it's where the computers are and it's the only area I have to use, so she puts up with it. Because she knows it's my hobby and it's what I do when not working on other things.

Of course, working on other things now, don't get to do that much being in an apartment and is why I miss the house we had been living in. Just no room or place to really build or construct new items for my display, unless I can get items I need and only do a limited amount of work to them to complete the item.

So, in comparison to what and where I have to construct new items for my display, you are very lucky to have a place to do that. Especially one where you can go and not be disturbed, or interrupted by anyone!

it does have that benefit, she doesn't have keys to my office. she does visit from time to time and ask the question "why do you need a 42inch LCD in your office?". I come up with some lame excuse but the truth is I have an Apple TV unit that has all my iTunes music, music video, and movies. some days you just need to chill.

I would rather put up with her quirks than my son's mom and the house looking like the inside of a dumpster.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caniac

• Cray Augsburg

• Arnoldc

• TJ Hvasta

Did the outside test this weekend on these and it was less than spectacular using the 100ct LED's in the globe. I did happen to have an LED FLood so we rigged up inside the globe and that is definitely the way to go. Will be reworking the insides this week to do that.

Was beginnin' to wonder myself If that would be something to try. Now I have the answer.

If money and time aren't an object (rrriiiigghht!) you might try a digital board and one of ponddude's Rainbow spots. Imagine the globe lighting up in any color you choose . . .

Now imagine painting the pole black and orange (ala Orville) for Halloween. And the globe lights up and starts fading back and forth between several "Halloween colors" . . .

And then . . . well, you get the idea.

These little RGB spots are just awesome, and they're a blast to play with.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my version. I still have to finish up the signs which will be lit as well. I will post the completed poles when that part is done. (building FM transmitter as we speak, hopefully soon I will have that up and running and a station locked in so I can etch the sign)

Attached files 247939=13480-Light poles2.jpg

Before you etch that FM sign be sure you check out your frequency of choice at night. Might be different from what you hear (or don't hear) during the day.

• 1 month later...

Having finished my props I have learned a few do's and dont's so here goes:

DO check out your pieces and make sure they fit BEFORE painting.

DON'T paint without first masking off areas that will come in contact afterwards and need to easily slide on and off.

and the list goes on. We masked off the two foot PVC (4") and set it on cardboard along with the sleeves and toilet flanges. Used Lowe's spray paint that was rated for use with plastic. The end result look really, really nice BUT then the fun started. We placed the PVC in the toilet flange and it didn't want to go in. Not to worry "Mr. Large Rubber Mallet" is here. Couple of whacks and they are all seated (12 total). Next up the sleeves, same problem so out comes Mr. Mallet again and problem solved. Next up was the plastic light fixtures we had purchased, fudge the don't fit but only miss by a hair!!! Whip out Mr. Dremel and hours later problem solved. Then we asked ourselves how are we gonna power these, we were able to get the light fixtures out but it was no easy task. Drilled a hole in the lower side of the "pole", cut the female end off the Dollar Tree 6ft extension cord and presto change-o we have lights. But wait there is more, do you know if you grind down fixture A to fit in sleeve 1 and then try to use it in any other sleeve it doesn't always fit. A couple of more hours with Mr. Dremel and this issue was fixed.

We then went to move them!! We had forgotten though that some of the 4" globe we put on them were glass and some were plastic. Not to worry, Caniac's AllThumbs Moving and Storage to the rescue. We now know which ones, we have no glass ones left and thanks to Dustbuster the mess is cleaned up.

Though the finished product is great, I don't think I could have made more mistakes. We are still looking for the right LED bulb to put in them, Spots are too bright, LED strands just look odd. Of the twelve, four were painted black and will be used for Halloween. We have tested them with black light CFL's and they look great (will not be part of the LOR display.