Light-O-Rama Forums

Slow forum

shfr26

Last night for awhile and again today, the forum is very ,very slow. Any idea's why?? Takes forever to change pages and even load the page.

shfr26 wrote:

Last night for awhile and again today, the forum is very ,very slow. Any idea's why?? Takes forever to change pages and even load the page.

Same here. Last night and again this morning just about 15 minutes ago. Seems to be ok now.

MikeH

I got a PM about this Sunday from the LOR Admin, so thye are looking into this when it occurs(providing they know about it!).

I'm thinking maybe when this occurs the ISP might be doing back ups and during that time, this is possibly slowing down the forum.

Weird thing is, when it happened Sunday, it was only the forum that was slow, all other aspects of the LOR site (support, products) all worked just fine and normal. Only the forum seems to be affected by whatever is causing this. I checked other sites to be sure, and only the LOR Forum was affected. Very strange.

Working just fine right now!

Orville wrote:

I got a PM about this Sunday from the LOR Admin, so thye are looking into this when it occurs(providing they know about it!).

I'm thinking maybe when this occurs the ISP might be doing back ups and during that time, this is possibly slowing down the forum.

Weird thing is, when it happened Sunday, it was only the forum that was slow, all other aspects of the LOR site (support, products) all worked just fine and normal. Only the forum seems to be affected by whatever is causing this. I checked other sites to be sure, and only the LOR Forum was affected. Very strange.

Working just fine right now!
most like a bandwidth issue with the forum host.

Jeff,

Just want you to know that Chuck has very little to do with the forums except to take on the responsibility to be our lead contact with UltraBB and stay up at night with them when we have a problem. The forums are hosted by the UltraBB company... Chuck has suggested some other options but it is my decision to stay on this forum for now. Thus I am the earthworm you are talking about.

As to the forum's slowness... In this case slowness of the forums is not because of anything that we are doing (at least as far as we know). We have a performance monitoring script in place to track the response time of the system. Almost always the response time is sub second however there are times when it gets slower and we are attempting to get to the bottom of it.

Dan

toddmoon wrote:

How did we ever manage on dailup? How things have changed :) LOL!:smile:
what made dial-up bearable was that everything was text based and not graphics, tons smaller amounts of data to pass.

There was a SQL crash that knocked the database out for a while and thus affected the fourms. The SQL table had to be repaired. This is most likey what caused the interruption you saw.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

There was a SQL crash that knocked the database out for a while and thus affected the fourms. The SQL table had to be repaired. This is most likey what caused the interruption you saw.

Dan

Arounbd 10:50pm this was the message I was getting when I'd load IE 8, the forums are set as my home page (how's that for an addiction? LOL)

Anyway this is what I got and I also sent support an e-mail immediately with a copy of this info:

Invalid SQL query: SELECT user_id, topic_id FROM wowbb_sessions WHERE last_visit > '2011-04-25 22:35:32'-Table './chucksm_ultra/wowbb_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired

Close to 2am the forums were still giving me this same error message, so I did send another e-mail to support letting them know the forum was still crashed and not accessible, as that info listed in the error actually tells the forums HAD crashed and needed to be repaired.

Somewhere between 2:15am-3am I checked again, got the same error, called it a night and went to bed, figuring the LOR folks had received the two messages I had sent and were trying to fix the problem.

Seems this problem was one that was out of the LOR folks control and they had to contact someone else to get it fixed.

At least it's working now, but I am wondering if those other two slow downs that had occurred previously may have had any bearing on the forums crashing completely Monday night/Tuesday morning early?

caniac wrote:

toddmoon wrote:
what made dial-up bearable was that everything was text based and not graphics, tons smaller amounts of data to pass.

Sure there were graphics! I used them on my BBS all the time, we used ANSI codes to make nice colorful graphics all the time. Some folks were really amazing with ANSI graphics too, we even had sound effects and music too, Midi files, the old creative labs CMF and VOC files worked well in the old golden days of BBS dial-up service at 300 baud.

Back then, if MP3 would have been around, probably would have taken a minimum of 4 days to download at 300 baud Then we got 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600 and finally 56,000(don't recall the exact number but know it had a decimal point in it) before the Internet became public and then started getting even faster and faster speeds untikl where we are today. And we still complain about things being too slow! LOL

It'll never end and neither will those trying to improve on the speed either!

Orville wrote:

caniac wrote:
toddmoon wrote:

Sure there were graphics! I used them on my BBS all the time, we used ANSI codes to make nice colorful graphics all the time. Some folks were really amazing with ANSI graphics too, we even had sound effects and music too, Midi files, the old creative labs CMF and VOC files worked well in the old golden days of BBS dial-up service at 300 baud.

Back then, if MP3 would have been around, probably would have taken a minimum of 4 days to download at 300 baud Then we got 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600 and finally 56,000(don't recall the exact number but know it had a decimal point in it) before the Internet became public and then started getting even faster and faster speeds untikl where we are today. And we still complain about things being too slow! LOL

It'll never end and neither will those trying to improve on the speed either!
yep, i remember those days. Back then we thought that was all we would ever need. I was the BMOC with my 56k modem but most BBS's would only support 9600 max. Now I have RR tuned at 10mbs down and 1mbs up and think it is slow.

Jeff Millard wrote:

I'm sick of clicking on it and feeling like I have a 286 CPU pulling up data from a 5 1/4" floppy.
Jeff

LOL. More like running of an old Z-80 CPU and Cassette tape drive would be a better description of just how slow it was crawling along there for awhile.

Seems to be working just fine now.:cool:

BTW: don't any of us have a "real life" outside these forums? Hmmm, on second thought, maybe you better not answer that....ROFLMAO

Orville wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:

Dan

Arounbd 10:50pm this was the message I was getting when I'd load IE 8, the forums are set as my home page (how's that for an addiction? LOL)

Anyway this is what I got and I also sent support an e-mail immediately with a copy of this info:

Invalid SQL query: SELECT user_id, topic_id FROM wowbb_sessions WHERE last_visit > '2011-04-25 22:35:32'-Table './chucksm_ultra/wowbb_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired

Close to 2am the forums were still giving me this same error message, so I did send another e-mail to support letting them know the forum was still crashed and not accessible, as that info listed in the error actually tells the forums HAD crashed and needed to be repaired.

Somewhere between 2:15am-3am I checked again, got the same error, called it a night and went to bed, figuring the LOR folks had received the two messages I had sent and were trying to fix the problem.

Seems this problem was one that was out of the LOR folks control and they had to contact someone else to get it fixed.

At least it's working now, but I am wondering if those other two slow downs that had occurred previously may have had any bearing on the forums crashing completely Monday night/Tuesday morning early?

My heavens, Orville. You need to go to bed!

CKSedg wrote:

Hey CK, I usually only sleep for 2, not more than 4 hours in a 24 hour period. And not always all at the same time either! Been this way all my life, used to really p.o. my parents when I'd get up and be found watching Horror movies on late night TV, which I wasn't supposed to be watching, but always sneaked out and did it anyway. Especially on school nights, Hey, get yer a$$ back to bed bud, you have school in the morning I can recall my mom screaming at me. Just as soon as she'd go back to bed, I'd sneak back out to the living room and watch the movie again.

Can't even recall the number of times I got a spanking for doing that, but I never learned 'cause I kept doing it. LOL

Guess that's why I prefer night shift over any other shift.

I've been doing this now for over 50+ years and I ain't slowed down yet.

That's why you can find posts from me all over the time continuum on the forums I frequent. I sequence between forum visits too, as well as a few other things here and there.

It aggravates the heck out of my wife and brother in law who both think I should be in bed asleep too! Maybe I'm really just a space alien in human guise and why I don't need much sleep. Midnight Anal probe anyone? ROFL

Well this thread has gone all over the place now. I think I will pass on any late night probing.

I had a friend that I grew up with that only needed 5 minutes of sleep and he was good for the rest of the day. It drove his parents nuts as well as me when I stayed at his house. He could stay up for days without sleep. I could manage a day or two without sleep when I was a teenager but that was a long time ago and now I need at least four hours of sleep to function on any given day.

I was all ways jealous of his ability to get away with 5 minutes of sleep. Jimmy would stay up all night and work on his school work and was way ahead of the game then the rest of us. :P

Orville wrote:

CKSedg wrote:

Hey CK, I usually only sleep for 2, not more than 4 hours in a 24 hour period. And not always all at the same time either! Been this way all my life, used to really p.o. my parents when I'd get up and be found watching Horror movies on late night TV, which I wasn't supposed to be watching, but always sneaked out and did it anyway. Especially on school nights, Hey, get yer a$$ back to bed bud, you have school in the morning I can recall my mom screaming at me. Just as soon as she'd go back to bed, I'd sneak back out to the living room and watch the movie again.

Can't even recall the number of times I got a spanking for doing that, but I never learned 'cause I kept doing it. LOL

Guess that's why I prefer night shift over any other shift.

I've been doing this now for over 50+ years and I ain't slowed down yet.

That's why you can find posts from me all over the time continuum on the forums I frequent. I sequence between forum visits too, as well as a few other things here and there.

It aggravates the heck out of my wife and brother in law who both think I should be in bed asleep too! Maybe I'm really just a space alien in human guise and why I don't need much sleep. Midnight Anal probe anyone? ROFL

Wow! I could never function on that little of sleep. I have to have about 6-7 hours each night. My wife has to get 8 or she is ornery and awful all day. Think how much more sequencing I get do if I didn't have to sleep!