Light-O-Rama Forums

Servo Dog

Dan C

I am considering adding a Servo Dog to my setup but have a question. Is there any limit to how far away from the servos the Servo Dog can be? I'm considering having it located approx. 25' away. I would be using Cat 5e cable to run the three wires along with power for an RGB spot light.

Would there be any problems doing this?

Thanks.

I'm not an expert. but I can tell you, it depends on what size servos you are using, small servos for a talking skull would be fine. 1/4 scale servos, moving something heavy, may require heavier wire...
check out;
http://www.servocity.com/index.html

Pick a servo, and there is a lot of tech info there...

I got one light built last night to test. I'll have to modify some Cat cable to test it like you said Jeff.

I plan to hook it up to 5 servos that are spread out about 5 feet apart. Hence the 25' length.

Thanks.

Dan,
What are you building?, or is it a secret?:D

I'm running 3 small servos on 10 feet of cat5 with no problems, but I would still defer to Jeff, and Kevin. I just did it with out knowing the capacity of the wire.
:shock:

Well, it's a work in progress so I'm not ready to let that cat out just yet. :D

I'm working on developing a mounting system first. I have a prototype made but its has a little too much flex when it moves so I will need to figure out a way to beef it up. I think I have an idea, but I will need to order some parts first.

Still have yet to test the wire length yet. I don't have any extra Cat cable right now. I've got an order in for another 1000' roll from Monoprice.com So that should be here soon.

Just to throw in another two cents, when I build my Servodog boxes, I use short tails that terminate in XLR connectors. Then I use standard microphone cable to run to the various servos. I've used up to 50' of XLR cable between the Servodog and the servo without any issue that I noticed.

Hope this helps..

Ryan

Hey guys, I tested a server using 35 ft. of Cat 5e cable tonight. My first test didn't go so well. I used a Futaba servo and a radio control car transmitter/receiver. The signal moved the servo but with unexpected results. When I moved the transmitter all the way left or right and then just "let go" the servo would return to the default center position, but it would bounce around back and forth a little before stopping. The same went for hard left/right controls. Then I switched to a Hitech brand servo and it work perfectly. I'm not sure what was causing the fluctuations in the other servo. But at least I know I can go a long distance on the cat cable.

I'm thinking the Futaba was either having issues with voltage drop in the power leads, or some feedback from load current feeding into the servo signal.

But it is good to know that a couple of cases confirm longer runs do, at least sometimes work with some hardware.

Just a small update. I ordered some brackets for the servos online and they showed up today. So today I ordered a DC controller and a Servo Dog. Already have a Power supply.

I just couldn't wait until the summer sale. Too much do do between now and then!

Once I get all the parts assembled, I'll do some testing and post some videos hopefully.

• 1 month later...

Try using a in-line signal booster if you have problems using long servo wires. Servo City sells them. If you install them make sure you insert as close as possible to the servo..

Bernie