Light-O-Rama Forums

Flip Horizontal Vertical and Mirror Features

paulanator

I was wondering if anyone has a way to flip or inverse a pattern in the Sequence Editor.

Let's say I have a chase pattern that is 8 channels and starting from the top #1 channel to the bottom #8 channel. I would love to be able to select that, then flip it, flop it, inverse it, whatever you want to call it, to make it go from bottom to top.

Options on this feature would really rock, like flip horizontal/flip vertical.

The other feature is mirror - like in drawing programs, create what you have, but a mirror horizontal would just butterfly it or mirror it to the right or left.

It might even be a copy, then Paste>reverse ?

I am still learning background and foreground commands, but I am not sure it can be done right now, and I cannot find a quick way to do this. The only way I can figure to do it is very manual and time consuming and it does not always come out accurate.

I have searched the forum here and cannot find anything on this, so please forgive me if it has been discussed, I apologize, I just could not find anything on it.

I think this would save a LOT of time for me I know. It is something that is very basic in programs like Corel Draw or paint programs and it would help me a lot.

If this is not availble, and has not been discussed, I will put it in the suggestions.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ItsMeBobO

• jimswinder

• paulanator

• Ron Amedee

you should ALWAYS send your ideas and wishes to wishlist@lightorama.com.

If they think/know enough people want a certain item, they MIGHT incorporate into their next software release.

Mirroring has been discussed before...so who knows, it might be included in the next release.

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=16563&forum_id=72&highlight=mirror

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=17700&forum_id=72&highlight=mirror

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=15294&forum_id=72&highlight=mirror

I set up a track for items that sometimes mirror each other. I will set the first prop channels in normal order and the second prop in reverse order. Then you can copy and paste from one to the other and they will mirror each other.

There is currently nothing explicitly to do this, but depending upon exactly what you're trying to do, the chase tool might help:

The direction you drag in determines the direction of the chase. So, for example, if you put some effects in a channel, and then drag from that channel up and to the right, the chase will go "upwards" as time passes.

bob wrote:

There is currently nothing explicitly to do this, but depending upon exactly what you're trying to do, the chase tool might help:

The direction you drag in determines the direction of the chase. So, for example, if you put some effects in a channel, and then drag from that channel up and to the right, the chase will go "upwards" as time passes.

I think we...at least I, are looking for something that we could copy a whole line of events in a channel(s) and then Paste it to another set of channels, but mirrored or flipped (horizontal or vertically)

IE: One arch you have going one way, but the next arch you want it going the other way...

Right, I understand (I think). I'm not saying that my suggestion is exactly what is asked for in all situations, but depending upon exactly what it is that you are trying to accomplish - for example exactly what sort of thing you're trying to flip, and how you're trying to flip it - it might do what you want.

For example:

http://www.lightorama.com/bobpublic/Mirror.swf

jimswinder wrote:

bob wrote:

I think we...at least I, are looking for something that we could copy a whole line of events in a channel(s) and then Paste it to another set of channels, but mirrored or flipped (horizontal or vertically)

IE: One arch you have going one way, but the next arch you want it going the other way...

As for Jims IE. I agree, we *DO NEED* that type of feature!

Currently to do that you can just do the first arch one way, the next the opposite, then just copy and paste from those two settings.

That's what I currently do, BUT, say you have done the full length of the song/animation and now decide that the arches are moving in the wrong direction.

There is currently no way to "reverse" or "flip" the arch by using a flip or reverse option by selecting that line in the sequence (vertically, horizonrtally or both) and then selecting said option from the tools menu, or a right click of the mouse, or even cut and then either "paste: reverse horizontal flip", "paste: vertical flip" or "paste: horizontal and vertical flip" options just as some examples that could possibly be used.

Would sure make changes to a sequence a LOT less time consuming in some circumstances!

p.s. Bob, that chase tool works great if you are just setting the sequence up, I rhink most are talking about modifying or changing things around AFTER that part of the sequence had been completed or may be partially done, and decided they don't like how it looked, and then wanted to change it around.

bob wrote:

Right, I understand (I think). I'm not saying that my suggestion is exactly what is asked for in all situations, but depending upon exactly what it is that you are trying to accomplish - for example exactly what sort of thing you're trying to flip, and how you're trying to flip it - it might do what you want.

For example:

http://www.lightorama.com/bobpublic/Mirror.swf

Sorry Bob..was not disagreeing with you, becasue your way does work...and that is how I currently do it...

but the lazy ass side of me just would like a quicker way to do it!! LOL

Such tools are on the wish list and are in the to do list. They are not at the top yet but will get there.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

Such tools are on the wish list and are in the to do list. They are not at the top yet but will get there.

Dan

Okay you guys who want this...

send an email to Dan and let's PUSH this to the top of the list!!!

:P

wishlist@lightorama.com...

just in case you missed it earlier!!

Thanks guys, that was exactly what I was looking for. I know when we can do things like this quicker, it gives me more time to be creative and try more what ifs.

I had not searched for Mirror Jim, thanks, those are all good links and just the thing I was wanting to do.

Thanks for the vid Bob, I have been doing it that way too, but I have found some instances when I am trying to mirror (for lack of better terms) that way, and it has come up with some odd results.

paulanator wrote:

Thanks for the vid Bob, I have been doing it that way too, but I have found some instances when I am trying to mirror (for lack of better terms) that way, and it has come up with some odd results.

If you notice something strange happen along these lines, and it's not too much of a hassle, then please "undo" (so you get back to the state you were in just before you tried the chase), then save the sequence, then send me (bob@lightorama.com) a copy of it. Please say what the issue is, and explicitly say which channel should be chased, in which direction, for how many channels, starting at what time, and ending at what time.

Thanks.

bob wrote:

If you notice something strange happen along these lines

Hey Bob...

Does the chase tool follow how the "Paste Mode" is set? Either by time or by cell?

If so, perhaps that throws some people off for what they are expecting to see...

Bob: I noticed on your demo, you were using version 2.9.5 Advanced
I can only find 2.9.4 on the LOR website

Is the 2.9.5 version available to the LOR community??

Got my request in!

Bob, I may have been just doing something dumb (hard to believe... ok maybe not) as I am still learning all the ins and outs of the software.

Jim might be right, I might not be paying attention to my Paste mode. I will look into that.

If I get that weird problem again, I will let you know.

Thanks!

Harbs wrote:

2.9.5 is in development and not available outside LOR. You may notice that only even numbered releases are available to the public.

Dan

jimswinder wrote:

bob wrote:
If you notice something strange happen along these lines

Hey Bob...

Does the chase tool follow how the "Paste Mode" is set? Either by time or by cell?

If so, perhaps that throws some people off for what they are expecting to see...

It doesn't pay attention to "Paste by Cell" or "Paste by Time", but it does pay attention to "Paste from Foreground".

Harbs wrote:

No, sorry, 2.9.4 is currently the latest that's publicly available.

Our public releases always end in an even number; odd numbers are what we use internally as we're working on the next public release. We then bump it up to an even number when we release it.

So, when the next version is released, it will be 2.9.6, or 2.10.0, or 3.0.0, or something like that, but not 2.9.5.

bob wrote:

It doesn't pay attention to "Paste by Cell" or "Paste by Time", but it does pay attention to "Paste from Foreground".

okay..dumb question then...

How does it fill then, by cell (filling each cell fully) or divides the amount of cells it is filling equally, which would suggest to me it fills by time?

jimswinder wrote:

bob wrote:

okay..dumb question then...

How does it fill then, by cell (filling each cell fully) or divides the amount of cells it is filling equally, which would suggest to me it fills by time?

The chase tool pays no attention to cells (except the start of the first cell that you're chasing from and the end of the last cell that you're chasing to).

In between, it just makes the events evenly spaced from one channel to the next, regardless of cells.

If you check out this video again, you'll see that when I do the chase, it makes some events that don't line up with cells at all, and that the events it makes are all evenly spaced:

moz-screenshot-1.pnghttp://www.lightorama.com/bobpublic/Mirror.swf