Light-O-Rama Forums

Tomato Cages

Guest guest

DonFL wrote:

.Yea, ok, might have been just a bit of overkill..;)

Overkill???

Is there such a thing for this hobby?!?!?!?!

My (9) 5' minis will have 600 lights each...150 of each color of Red, Green, Blue and White...

for a total of 5400 BEAUTIFUL TWINKLING AND SHIMMERING LIGHTS!!!

I say long live OVERKILL!!!! :shock:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caniac

• jimswinder

• lightzilla

• Amazn1

jimswinder wrote:

DonFL wrote:

Overkill???

My (9) 5' minis will have 600 lights each...150 of each color of Red, Green, Blue and White...

I say long live OVERKILL!!!! :shock:
I agree, I get satisfaction out of having the neighbors go "WTF"!! If I don't get that reaction then I am not doing my job!

Guest guest

I don't really have "neighbors" per se, out here in the boondocks, but those that drove by when the power company was adding the transformer to the front of my property to feed the 200A panel dedicated to lights for the "front front" yard (not to be confused with the "front yard"), may very well have said "WTF?"..

Actually, i think the power company said that when I placed the order and they asked "what is this for?.."..

caniac wrote:

DonFL wrote:
how tall and how many lights (I know that may be mentioned earlier in the thread, but i'm lazy...)..?

Guessing 33-36 inch cages, 100 lights..?
They were 33inch cages but i cut off the bottom and then run 140 of the white lights and 100 of the multi-color. All LED's. Took three or four tries to get it the way i wanted.

I'm doing just white incandescent ones. You mean to tell me that's 140 LED's on the white one? I don't want to come off the wrong way, but does it look "full" at night? It looks like I might have to do 200 or 300 each foe mine. I'm glad I got to see yours, to compare to.

DonFL wrote:

I don't really have "neighbors" per se, out here in the boondocks, but those that drove by when the power company was adding the transformer to the front of my property to feed the 200A panel dedicated to lights for the "front front" yard (not to be confused with the "front yard"), may very well have said "WTF?"..

Actually, i think the power company said that when I placed the order and they asked "what is this for?.."..
the power companies love us, it's how they pay their bonuses!!

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

caniac wrote:
DonFL wrote:
how tall and how many lights (I know that may be mentioned earlier in the thread, but i'm lazy...)..?

They were 33inch cages but i cut off the bottom and then run 140 of the white lights and 100 of the multi-color. All LED's. Took three or four tries to get it the way i wanted.

I'm doing just white incandescent ones. You mean to tell me that's 140 LED's on the white one? I don't want to come off the wrong way, but does it look "full" at night? It looks like I might have to do 200 or 300 each foe mine. I'm glad I got to see yours, to compare to.
two 70ct white LED's and it does "appear" full. haven't taken them outside but they look bright in the hallway when i turn out the lights.

True Value in my area has tomato cages for .79 cents each, on sale until the 30th!

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

True Value in my area has tomato cages for .79 cents each, on sale until the 30th!
same here, most of the "cost" is in the time and the wire ties but at Christmas it will as they say on HGTV "pop"!!!!

DonFL wrote:

Wrapping the wire is a pain in the a**, so all for saving some time if two staggered/stacked cages will do it.

I found that if you do not use the wire mesh that the bulbs can fold inwards and are less visible to the viewing.

By using the wire it helps to keep the bulbs flush with the surface of the mini tree or pointing out.

Few pics here .... http://www.pbase.com/dgeall/minitree

My 2c worth !

Dave

P.S. To add .... There are 200 LEDs per tree !

caniac wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:
caniac wrote:
DonFL wrote:

two 70ct white LED's and it does "appear" full. haven't taken them outside but they look bright in the hallway when i turn out the lights.
Finally took these outside, placed in the front yard where I think they will be and the white one was great, no changes there. will need to add another 100ct to the multi-color, looked splotchy in places.

RaceMedic wrote:

DonFL wrote:
Wrapping the wire is a pain in the a**, so all for saving some time if two staggered/stacked cages will do it.

I found that if you do not use the wire mesh that the bulbs can fold inwards and are less visible to the viewing.

By using the wire it helps to keep the bulbs flush with the surface of the mini tree or pointing out.

Few pics here .... http://www.pbase.com/dgeall/minitree

My 2c worth !

Dave

P.S. To add .... There are 200 LEDs per tree !

That IS the one thing I like about the mesh...but still, for the time it takes to wrap the mesh (at least the way I did it..probably not the most efficient way), I'm ready to take my chances without it, and do double cages, to get the 6-8 vertical supports.

Nice thing is, I'll have some both ways to do a solid side by side comparison..no change to light quantity, simply, two cages, and no wrap, for each tree this year.

caniac wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
DonFL wrote:

Overkill??? 

I say long live OVERKILL!!!!    :shock:
I agree, I get satisfaction out of having the neighbors go "WTF"!!  If I don't get that reaction then I am not doing my job!

Mine always say, "You're adding MORE?!?!?!"

imawlkr2 wrote:

I initially thought of tomato cages when doing my trees last year but had a box of pvc fittings and pipe left over from a job. Turned out real nice. They are about 3' tall with garland for daytime and 100ct white lights. I am making two 4' and two 5' trees for this year. Painted the frame black for the final assembly.

I did the same thing you did by using 1/2" PVC. It cost about $10 per tree but they are very sturdy. One difference is I didn't put two vertical pieces in the back. I figured people won't see the back of the trees and it allowed me to put those lights in the front so I used less lights than I otherwise would have. I plan on putting garland around them to make them look better in the daytime. Each tree has 420 LED lights and they are very bright at night.

Attached files 247056=13446-IMAG0299.jpg

caniac wrote:

Updated photo's of my mini trees with MORE lights!!

did you forget to attach the photos?

whoops...now I see them...

Amazn1, any chance you could post more pics. of your trees. I like the idea of using pvc. Maybe some dimensions too.

Thanks!

Ed Slonka Jr wrote:

Amazn1, any chance you could post more pics. of your trees. I like the idea of using pvc. Maybe some dimensions too.

Thanks!

Sure, no problem. The tree is 30" tall. The base pieces are 7" and connected with (8) 30 degree connectors. I also used (6) T connectors to connect the (6) vertical pieces. I drilled a holes at the top each vertical piece and connected them together with zipties.

Attached files 247506=13469-LOR2.jpg