Light-O-Rama Forums

10 foot Globe

TonyW

I would like to ask all of you pro's for your input and ideas for this.
I made this for our High School Marching Band in 2007 when they used it for Reflections of Earth, it was a big hit. They covered it to look like Earth in Material and at night time it lite up from the inside to make it glow.
I was thinking of incorporating it into my 2011 light show.
I would love to hear ideas.
One I had but will become very time consuming is having it light up all red, then all blue to represent the making of Earth then slowly make the land formations light up in Green and the polar caps light up in White. This will be only in Reflections of Earth. Other songs could just be all Red and All Blue.
I am sure this will take several lights and probably 1 - 2 more controllers.
All your input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks all.

Attached files 231842=12713-005.JPG

Your best results will be with LED rope light and if you go out and check your locsl stores now pricing is at your advantage. Rope light will give you the glow on a 360 schale other than when tied to sphere. If you can get the right ends (to connect end to end) you can make some really cool transitions with your LOR. Dont wait to go shopping the time is now for the good prices.....

A few strobs would also fit well these though need to ordered 8 to 12 dollars per. Get the C-9 base this will make your wire up much simpler.

I had both the fortune and misfortune to see the ball in downtown Dallas on my journey back home from San Antonio to St. Louis one night. Actually I was trying to by-pass Dallas and I missed my turn-off. So, I am sort of lost at night and then I see the light show on this ball like around this tower in downtown Dallas. It was doing all kinds of crazy things. One was what looked like a jump rope spinning horizontally. Oh, wife found it for me. It is called reunion tower. I think that if you could put up a bunch of single lamps. each controlled by a individual channel you could make all kinds of sequences. Chases at the equator, chases sweeping left to right but extending from pole to pole. loops rising and falling from pole to pole. Jump rope around the globe. And I am just getting started. I am sure others can come up with more designs..

I would think you would want a lamp at every 10 degrees which is about every 9". Lots of individual lights thats for sure. And a lot of controllers.

But this is what I would do if I had the money. Might even make it rgb if I could just for the ability to change colors. but just white if I could even go that far.

Jeff Millard wrote:

That thing needs a big tall pole, a garage door opener, lotsa lights, Tiffany Crystal, a million viewers and you could re-enact the Times Square New Year's Ball.

Jeff

PS, It's something I've wanted to recreate for a coupe years in smaller scale...

And your neighbors complain about traffic now? I am sure that would be a zoo out front on 31 Dec.

Good idea, I will start trying to find some deals on the LED Rope lights. I hope I can find a really really good steal on some because with this thing 10 feet tall it could get very expensive. Thanks for the info!

That is a cool idea but I would have to rent a crane to move this gigantic crazy thing!
You should do that in about a 3 foot diameter and post the video, I bet that would be really cool!

Max gave me an idea it might be real cool to wrap the rope light in mini or c-7 run them chaseing against each other. Got to try that one myself.

yea man 10 foot is a big area but then again everyone builds mega trees 25 foot and up.

I would love to see pictures or vid when you have the ball wired.

Good project

I'd probably make it into some sort of giant Christmas ornament ball. If money wasn't an issue, just cover it in CCR's and it would be psycho-cool :)

Dennis Eaton wrote:

Max gave me an idea it might be real cool to wrap the rope light in mini or c-7 run them chaseing against each other. Got to try that one myself.

yea man 10 foot is a big area but then again everyone builds mega trees 25 foot and up.

I would love to see pictures or vid when you have the ball wired.

Good project
I actually made this out of PVC Pipe. I made a jig out of wood and nails to make the curved bends and heated the pipe so it would take shape. Then used 4 way couplings and glued them together. Once I had the shape assembled then I wrapped it on the exterior with Galvanized screen so it wouldn't rust. I have thought about making several smaller ones and placing them around like ornaments.
The chasing idea is pretty cool also.

Tim Fischer wrote:

I'd probably make it into some sort of giant Christmas ornament ball. If money wasn't an issue, just cover it in CCR's and it would be psycho-cool ;)
Now that would definitely be the way to go with CCR's but I will need to hit the Mega Lottery first!

TonyW wrote:

Good idea, I will start trying to find some deals on the LED Rope lights. I hope I can find a really really good steal on some because with this thing 10 feet tall it could get very expensive. Thanks for the info!

Tony,
If I was you and looking for a good deal on LED rope light. Have you seen CDI's pre-buy prices? I think it is something sub-$100 per 150' Will depend on what color you select, prices will rise or fall some. This is a great price compared to others from what I remember seeing last year.

Max-Paul wrote:

TonyW wrote:

Tony,
If I was you and looking for a good deal on LED rope light. Have you seen CDI's pre-buy prices? I think it is something sub-$100 per 150' Will depend on what color you select, prices will rise or fall some. This is a great price compared to others from what I remember seeing last year.
Thanks Max, I will look into theirs first!

A couple ideas....

Maybe make it into a snowglobe. Put figures inside, carolers, or snowmen or kids or a small village scene if it's big enough... whatever....then make it "snow" inside. http://www.christmas-leds.com/ makes lights that look like it is snowing; they're cool but expensive, so maybe you could figure out another way to make a snowing effect. Use it in the song that goes "let it snow, let it snow let it snow" or "dreaming of a white christmas...."

Could you light it somehow as a global? Maybe line the inside with some kind of transluscent paper that is the global. Or even paint it as a global, then light it a little bit with a spot light. Then attach, some kind of Santa/sleigh/reindeer to it, putting several around the global.....then have them attached to channels to get the effect of Santa Claus driving the sleigh around the global. Maybe red rope like comes on behing the Santa's lighting up.....leaving his "path" lit up. Could use for songs like ..."Santa Claus is coming to town"

Then if you did paint it like a global. Mount a star on a pole above it. Light the global for a song like "Joy to the World"......then light the star on parts of the song. Maybe it's a multi-dimensional star and that is what becomes your primary automation for the piece. Check out this families' work on the song Joy to the world; it's very cool. http://andrewschristmas.com/ Think of doing joy to the world - with your "centerpiece" being the world, verses the manger.

Maybe make it into a big snowball, light it white?. You could make some wireframe kids that are "pushing it". That might be really cute. You could even make a couple smaller balls and have a sequence where they are rolling up to the "big snowball".

I can't help thinking somehow having some strobes in it would be really neat...don't know how they "fit in".

Also, maybe to get the effect of the snowglobe or of a solid shape1/2 of the ball might have to be painted - like a flat black or something.

OK, one more thought.....you could make it the bottom ball of snowman. Make two other much smaller ball standing up still. Then have a grinch that has knocked it over. Grinch could even be a plywood cut out, painted and spot lighted, if you couldn't find one. The snowman could have a lit up face and his mouth could move so you could make the snow man talk...the snowman could sing or say "you're a mean one, Mr. Grinch."

Good luck with your project! Will be interested to see what you wind up with.

I dont say much about other peoples spelling cause mine is not perfect either, but I got to say something this time.

ep, the word is "globe" so if I was to go back into your post and replaced "Global" with globe. Then your post would be correct. You think global. You hold a globe (aka a ball).

Sorry man, but after reading global so many times in your post. Well it got to me.