Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR16PC all channels flickering... a slug shorted out the board

planor6

One of my controllers got shorted out by a slug the other day. It crawled inside the box and onto the back of the board. When the show came on, bam... grilled slug. It actually was bad enough that it burned a hole in the board. I'm fine with the fact that the board isnt going to do 16 channels anymore, but I want to at least get the rest of the board working. It powers on fine, I can set the controller ID, and push firmware to it. It responds to commands such as off, on, fade... but all the channels flicker constantly. It doesnt matter if its the side of the board where the hole is, or the other side. They all flicker. Any ideas what component controls this? Maybe the regulator? Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated!

Kenny

Attached files 231724=12710-photo.JPG

Nah, I dont think there is any reason to trash the board. I'm sure it's possible to get it working. I wont be using the channels around the hole, but the rest of the board should be fine... No reason to trash something that can be salvaged! Any other suggestions? (besides trashing it)

Its a conspiracy! Suicide slugs throwing themselves onto LOR controller boards to stop the blinky blinky. In the two years I have been on this board. This is the second board destroyed by slugs. And just in the past week someone said that their yard was covered with slugs. To include tree trunks and a box containing a controller. But in the morning the slugs were all gone.

I tell you. The slugs are fighting back and they will commit suicide to shut us down. :(

:) jking

Taliban-recruited slugs.. they start small and work their way up to bigger stuff..

Trash the board.. burned a hole thru wudda burned the layers/traces.. dont bother with trying to salvage it, I wouldn't..

DanLowell wrote:

Well, that is one advantage to living above the snow belt. All the slugs round here are, in the words of my 4 year old, Sleepy-bye Night-Night, this time of year.

Dan, you are right. This is an issue I never even thought to consider up North.

The other nice thing up this way is that we get no heavy rains/GFCI tripping. Snow doesn't seem to trip much of anything (except perhaps those walking through a display... :))

Greg