Light-O-Rama Forums

How to ID my new controller??

KevinL

KevinL wrote:

For the life of me I can not get my new 2nd controlller to be recognized in my hardware set-up???

Please, suggestions or guidance

How many units do you have total? Is it just the 2?

If so, check your max units (# that the hardware utility uses for the max unit ID search) and make sure you dont have it set for 1

Thanks for your reply! I have just the two units, and the Max number of units is set at 5! The PC recognizes the units as the LED both go "solid", but it still only says one unit. I hooked up my lights and I'm just getting the same original 16 channels but on both units!

Have you tried to hook up only the unit not working and see if it is found? Make sure it is a different number than the first on. If it is a new controller, it is most likely named unit 1, just like the first one.

I've tried to set up the unit id's as #1 & #2, but it doesn't seem to do it or quite possibly I'm doing it wrong!

I did find my "Channel Property Grid" and was able to add the 16 channels to my sequence as unit #2. But when I go back to the hardware utilility I'm still just finding one unit!

I'm not really good at using this software as it took me two full seasons to figure out how to sequence my own music, so I thought I had it down and now this!!

You said that when you play your sequence both controllers do the same thing. That tells me that both units are set to the same ID.

Hook ONLY ONE controller to the computer. What is it's address?

Hook the ONLY the OTHER controller to the computer. What is it's address?

Were they both the same? If so that is your problem.

Assuming that these are PC controllers.

Leave the second controller connected and the hardware utility open. On the left hand side under change existing ID. Under Old Unit ID, select any unit. Under New Unit ID select what you want this controller to be. Then press the Change Unit ID Button.

Now do a refresh and the unit should show up at the address you told it to.

Chuck

Not to sound condescending or anything like that, but doesn't ANYONE read the instructions that come with the controller? It spells all that out in black and white.

If I hadn't bothered to read those little nifty cards LOR puts in with the booklets, what I call a short and fast informational card, I'd have probably set every one of my controllers to the same ID too.

But I read the little LOR Booklet and the little card that told me exactly what to do and how to set up my controllers to work properly and get their ID's set to each controller individually.

So I guess a lot of "newbies" don't bother to read the info that comes with the controllers? I guess I must be a rare exception, I *DO* READ all the info I get with items I buy, not saying I remember it all or retain it, but at least I read it first, then if I still have an issue or can't figure it out from the info I have, then I ask here or in other related forums.

And believe me, I AM still a NEWBIE at this too, I just started doing these type displays this year myself (2010), so I'm still in the plastic pants stage of my LOR development of understanding how the software works and what I can do with it. But I'm getting there.

Orville,

This is possibly your first "lighting season" on this board, so perhaps you haven't seen it before, but this question comes up all the time this time of the year.

Along with "Do I have to redraw my animation screen for every sequence?" or "How many lights can I hook up?" etc.

If most people would read these forums, or the LOR Tutorials, or even just Press F1 and open the Help files that are distributed with the software, it would eliminate 90% of the newbie questions.

JBullard wrote:

Orville,

This is possibly your first "lighting season" on this board, so perhaps you haven't seen it before, but this question comes up all the time this time of the year.

Along with "Do I have to redraw my animation screen for every sequence?" or "How many lights can I hook up?" etc.

If most people would read these forums, or the LOR Tutorials, or even just Press F1 and open the Help files that are distributed with the software, it would eliminate 90% of the newbie questions.

I learned that F1 trick from the forums here myself. I didn't ask about it, but I do try and read any info I can find and if something just doesn't sound right to me or I'm still puzzled, I may ask, but many times before I do I do try and search it out.

Unfortunately in my opinion, the search engines on most forums are not the greatest and many times when I've searched for something specific to see if it had been answered previously, I may get frustrated because I'll get 30 or 40 responses that have nothing to do with what I'm trying to find an answer too. When that happens I will usually ask and many times, it had been answered, but the search engine never gave up the criteria I was searching for.

I think these search engines, many times, are something that could use a good revamping on these forum systems to be a little more specific in what one is really trying to find an answer too. Again, just my opinion and experience with 99.9% of the search engines out here for most of anything!

Orville wrote:

Not to sound condescending or anything like that, but doesn't ANYONE read the instructions that come with the controller? It spells all that out in black and white.

If I hadn't bothered to read those little nifty cards LOR puts in with the booklets, what I call a short and fast informational card, I'd have probably set every one of my controllers to the same ID too.

But I read the little LOR Booklet and the little card that told me exactly what to do and how to set up my controllers to work properly and get their ID's set to each controller individually.

So I guess a lot of "newbies" don't bother to read the info that comes with the controllers? I guess I must be a rare exception, I *DO* READ all the info I get with items I buy, not saying I remember it all or retain it, but at least I read it first, then if I still have an issue or can't figure it out from the info I have, then I ask here or in other related forums.

And believe me, I AM still a NEWBIE at this too, I just started doing these type displays this year myself (2010), so I'm still in the plastic pants stage of my LOR development of understanding how the software works and what I can do with it. But I'm getting there.

You mean the card that says "This Unit ID is set to 01" or something like that.

If we did that then we would not have an excuse to post on the Lor forum.

Great little card

lightzilla wrote:

You mean the card that says "This Unit ID is set to 01" or something like that.

LOL, yep, that's the one! :D

lightzilla wrote:
If we did that then we would not have an excuse to post on the Lor forum.
We wouldn't? Heaven forbid!:P

lightzilla wrote:
Great little card
Yes, it is!:cool:

If I read the cards and book that came with the kits, how am I supposed to bump my post count without the asking questions that are already printed (in a dozen + places) ;)