Light-O-Rama Forums

please park on opposite side

Guest Don Gillespie

My people were stupid parking in the middle of the road. I told one to park on the other side by the trees. SO they drove up behind the tree/curb line and parked. Lucky my neighbor laughed at how stupid they were. So I had to put this sign up so they knew where to park. LOL it worked and they started parking where I wanted them for Halloween. Same sign is going up for Christmas. LOL

Attached files 221337=12267-IMAG0137.jpg

I borrow a dozen orange traffic cones from the city and put them out in the street in front of the two houses each night. It never ceases to amaze me how people will, if you let them, park right in front of the house without even a thought for others who are watching from their cars across the street. And why does it always seem like it's always the full-size club-cab pickups?

friskybri wrote:

Sometimes I thought of putting on my mic headset and saying some smart a#$ remarks across the radio.

I actually did something like that a couple of times last year. One busy night - a Friday I think - and the street was packed. Along came one of those Hummer stretch limos that run about half a block long and it came to a stop right smack-dab in front of the house, despite the cones being there. I was across the street watching the show and I waited what I thought was a respectable 30 seconds or so for them to see things and move on. Didn't happen. So I approached the drivers side and knocked on the window. Nothing. I knocked again. Nothing. I then went inside the house and plugged my headset in and took one last look out the window and they were still there. I brought the show to a stop and announced that the show was suspended until the "jerk in the Starlight Limo" decided to move on, and I asked that any viewers who agreed with me to please flash their lights so the "idiot driver" could see how many people were being inconvenienced. About a dozen cars began flashing their lights and it took about ten seconds before the limo left. Very gratifying. What was even more gratifying was when I went back outside and a handful of people rolled down their woindows and thanked me. (I also called the limo company the next morning and told the owner what happened and informed him that's exactly what I would do each time I saw one of their limos stopped out front. Never saw another one.)

One other night I lost it with people stopping and keeping their headlights on. Personally, I think that's one of the rudest things. This particular instance also occurred when the street was full. And what set me off was there was about half a dozen cars with their lights on. I knew an announcement was coming up after the current song ended (almost all my announcements mention turning headlights off) so I waited. Well, the announcement came and went and there was still three or four who hadn't complied so I stopped the show. I said something to the effect that we were going to wait until the inconsiderate jerks (I like that word) who thought the headlight thing was for everyone else except them realized how rude they were being. I even called a couple of them out, mentioning the white SUV across the street and the dark-colored mini van. Didn't take long. One of the idiots drove away (good riddance) and the others killed their lights.

Guest Don Gillespie

George Simmons wrote:

friskybri wrote:
Sometimes I thought of putting on my mic headset and saying some smart a#$ remarks across the radio.

I actually did something like that a couple of times last year. One busy night - a Friday I think - and the street was packed. Along came one of those Hummer stretch limos that run about half a block long and it came to a stop right smack-dab in front of the house, despite the cones being there. I was across the street watching the show and I waited what I thought was a respectable 30 seconds or so for them to see things and move on. Didn't happen. So I approached the drivers side and knocked on the window. Nothing. I knocked again. Nothing. I then went inside the house and plugged my headset in and took one last look out the window and they were still there. I brought the show to a stop and announced that the show was suspended until the "jerk in the Starlight Limo" decided to move on, and I asked that any viewers who agreed with me to please flash their lights so the "idiot driver" could see how many people were being inconvenienced. About a dozen cars began flashing their lights and it took about ten seconds before the limo left. Very gratifying. What was even more gratifying was when I went back outside and a handful of people rolled down their woindows and thanked me. (I also called the limo company the next morning and told the owner what happened and informed him that's exactly what I would do each time I saw one of their limos stopped out front. Never saw another one.)

One other night I lost it with people stopping and keeping their headlights on. Personally, I think that's one of the rudest things. This particular instance also occurred when the street was full. And what set me off was there was about half a dozen cars with their lights on. I knew an announcement was coming up after the current song ended (almost all my announcements mention turning headlights off) so I waited. Well, the announcement came and went and there was still three or four who hadn't complied so I stopped the show. I said something to the effect that we were going to wait until the inconsiderate jerks (I like that word) who thought the headlight thing was for everyone else except them realized how rude they were being. I even called a couple of them out, mentioning the white SUV across the street and the dark-colored mini van. Didn't take long. One of the idiots drove away (good riddance) and the others killed their lights.

Ok I officially nominate Georege to do voice overs for traffic controll any one second that motion that is hilarius George I am going to have to try that, last year a limo pulled up a drunk girl proceeded to come into my yard a pretend to ride the deer I was thinking of leaving a bare wire out this year so if she came back she would get a shocking experience but overall most of the people are pretty considerate of others, just have no patience for dumb people, I must be getting older starting to sound like the grouch on sesame street LOL

So many people today have cars with automatic headlights. I think many of them don't even know how to shut off the lights or that they can. I figured it out by accident with our car. So I can't blame everyone for that.

My truck has the auto headlights and there's no way to turn them off. We are not being jerks, there's nothing we can do about.

chris mashburn wrote:

My truck has the auto headlights and there's no way to turn them off. We are not being jerks, there's nothing we can do about.

If you press in the parking brake just slightly, the daytime running lights will turn off...

Guest Don Gillespie

friskybri wrote:

take a baseball bat to them. lol Problem fixed. Or bring a role of duck tape.

Ok if George is going to be the head honcho on the volice overs for traffic controll I now nominate friskybri as the enforcer the two of you realize that this is not a paid postion and there will be many hours spent at other locations when an emergency call comes in LOL what kind of a bat are you thinking of using metal or wood

Greg

Thanks for the helpful tip. I just tried it and it works great. leave it to a florida boy for good advice!!

Yes Greg, thanks for the info. I'm going to incorporate that tidbit into one of my headlight announcements this year.

Guest Don Gillespie

Jeff Millard wrote:

What are we supposed to do to the "jerks" who park in front of the house to go join a party two blocks away? I came really close to putting one guy's car up on blocks. I wish I had done it. When he got back I tried to tell him how rude it was but he just got all beligerant. He was loaded, so I called it in. Never heard if they stopped him or not. I'm sitting here recalling this... and thinking really bad thoughts... ...OK I'm over it.

Jeff

Let the air out his tires and watch him when he pulls away then start laughing or box him in with other vehicles and don't let him out or call the graffitti guys and tell them you have a job for them all I know is that would really [Foul Language Used] me off I don't know what I would do it certainly isn't worth getting into a fight over it, talk to the city and see if they would give you permision for a no parking zone for the month of Dec that way if a moron parks there you should be able to call a tow truck

chris mashburn wrote:

My Yukon has automatic headlights. You just turn the headlight switch and it will turn them off. turn it again to auto and back on they come.

Don Gillespie wrote

last year a limo pulled up a drunk girl proceeded to come into my yard a pretend to ride the deer

What, no video?

HowardShank wrote:

chris mashburn wrote:

My Yukon has automatic headlights. You just turn the headlight switch and it will turn them off. turn it again to auto and back on they come.

by the way, my 2001 Chevy truck, there is no way to turn off the head lights while truck is running, just say'n