Light-O-Rama Forums

Mounting CCR's to a roofline

WayneKremer

Anyone know of a straight, low bend, not brittle method of mounting CCR's to a roofline? I don't really trust 1"x2" wood ferring strips. I fear they will snap during installation/teardown...and snap my CCR's with it. Any ideas? Thx!

Hey...that's an idea on the J-channel. I wonder if aluminum J-channel (not super-thin) is made and sold locally. Is the vinyl J-channel flexible to where it bends all over the place with a weight load on it (i.e. CCR)? thx!

WayneKremer wrote:

Hey...that's an idea on the J-channel. I wonder if aluminum J-channel (not super-thin) is made and sold locally. Is the vinyl J-channel flexible to where it bends all over the place with a weight load on it (i.e. CCR)? thx!

We put new siding on our house this year, and after that I was in search of a way to hang lights on our house without putting any holes in it.

Not sure about the bend. In my application on the eves I slide the flat part under the shingles. Where I have gutters, I turn the J channel around and it clips (hangs) on my gutters. Also around my windows I use the J channel backwards and it clips right behind the J channel around my windows.

I have tested the J channel in all of the places mentioned above, but have not made a full install yet. I have tried J channel around my window with the LED strip attached to it. There was no sagging in it.

I have a tool that punches the elongated nail holes in siding. I will use this to put extra holes where I need them to attach the LED strips (CCR) to the J channel with zip ties.

If I get a chance tomorrow I will attach a LED strip (CCR) to a 12' piece of J channel and take some pictures of how it holds up without much support.

The J channel mounting mething is going to work great in my application.

Below shows a 12' J channel with LED strip attached. Its balanced on saw horse showing what it does when moving around with one hand.

P9030050.jpg

Below shows a 12' J channel with saw horses at 4 1/2' apart (arms length)

P9030049.jpg

LED strip was attached to the J channel using 4" zip ties. The LED strip was attached to the J channel on different sides.

LED strip attached to the 'face' of the J channel. (Attaching to the 'face' of the J channel is not actually used in my application.)

P9030025.jpg

LED strip attached to the to the backside of the 'nailing strip' of J channel. (Used on gutters and around windows in my application.)

P9030039.jpg

Attaching LED strip to underneath the 'face' of the J channel. (Used on eves with 'nailing strip' pushed under shingles.)

P9030036.jpg

Holes were punched in the J channel every 2' where needed.

P9030024.jpg

I have many more pictures. I am going to try and put together and post it on my website.

Here are some pictures from my actual application.

P9030046.jpg

With the CCR/LED strip attached to the backside of the nailing strip on the J channel, the 'face' of the J channel will slide right under the existing J channel and lock in place. When I get ready to do the windows I will actually cut a V in the nailing strip on the J channel and it will just fold around the corner of the window.

P9030044.jpg

With CCR/LED strip attached same was as above the 'face' of the J channel will just hang on the gutter.

P9030035.jpg

With the CCR/LED strip attached underneath the 'face' of the J channel the nail strip of the J channel will slide right under the shingles and they hold it in place

Thanks for the pictures and details Paul! Maybe I'm worrying about the flexibility of the CCR's too much. Does the J channel bend in half easily? I can handle the flexing, but a hard bend would be bad. Thx!

WayneKremer wrote:

Thanks for the pictures and details Paul! Maybe I'm worrying about the flexibility of the CCR's too much. Does the J channel bend in half easily? I can handle the flexing, but a hard bend would be bad. Thx!

It does not bend in half easily unless it is cut (notched) first.

Another thing is the J channel only comes in 12' lengths as far as I know. Unless you cut the CCR in 12' or less lengths part of attaching the CCR/LED strip will have to be done after the J channel is put up. I don't see anyway for one person to put up a 16' CCR with it attached to 2 seperate J channels before hand.

How are you planning on attaching the J channel to your house? I think attaching it with nails, staples. or whatever in 3 places would be enough. Maybe even 2 places if put in the right place.

rwertz wrote:

Thanks for posting the pics Paul. You've given me some food for thought on mounting a CCR above my garage doors.

Glad I could help.

If you come up with something let us know.

Ideally I would like to find some type of rigid J channel, but not sure if it exists. It would be great to find something in a 18' or 20' length, but I'm probably dreaming. If I find something, I'll post it.

The way I plan on doing the J channel is screwing to the facia in 3 locations. The wind around here is terrible during the decorating season, so I tend to over do things. :)

Wayne

I got the two pieces I was using to test with from Lowes. Now that I see it works like I thought it would. I will get the siding company to deliver what I need that matches what is already on the house.

I have also found it online.

You will find some places online by googling "vinyl J channel".

• The topic was locked