Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX and LOR for Dummies

jerrymac

Thanks for clarification. I'll order an iDMX1000 before the sale ends.

I've been reviewing the various links at DIYlighting, etc. There's a lot to absorb, but it's now clear that the future lies in inexpensive LED products and DMX controllers from China combined with DMX specialty items (RGB spots, washes, fog, snow, laser, etc) from the exisitng American sources catering to the live music and theater communities.

• 5 years later...

Check out ZMAN's website on DMX basics. Here

Also if you want to control your DMX fixtures with LOR. You will need a iDMX1000 from LOR.

Is there a new link for this? this one does not work anymore.  :-(

Use the link I supplied in reply #24. That takes you to my How-To page and there is multiple DMX presentations to choose from. The original link from #2 & #25 is a stale link.

I need some one that is using the holiday coro 16 channel pixel set up to talk with for some help I am running 3 lor controls using the first 3 set of 16 channels

Edited by james morris

First go into network preferences click on DMX   and add your ip address of your controller, add same ip address to all 16 universes your going to use.   now open sequence editor  click on channel  click on add device        device    DMX universe   add as group  DMX settings  add universe 1  channels  510    ok   do this 15 more times   if you have 16 universe     now  expand one of newly added devices  right click on first channel and select convert to rgb channels check box for also do this for the following channels enter the number of rgb channels you need and delete the rest 

• Like 1

James: You need to decide how you are going to set the 16 strings up. i.e.  one universe for each of the 16 strings or are you going to zig zag them with 150 pixels (3 strings) to a single universe. The 16 universe option will use the entire controller for the tree while the latter version will leave some outputs for other uses (if you need).  The 16 universe option would be the easiest for you. 

If you want some specific help send me a private message (just don't like posting my email due to junk mail).  Would be happy to assist if needed.

JerryMac.

Newbie question, I recently purchased some LED moving light projectors and 3 DTS Z8 32 channel led power supplies that allows DMX512, I currently place about 50,000 lights on 3 acres each year and everyone wants me to do shows with it.

So my question is can I use LED power supply pictures added to power my show instead of using LOR controllers?

post-16904-0-05803300-1452979766_thumb.j

post-16904-0-40913700-1452979806_thumb.j

post-16904-0-25578900-1452979812_thumb.j

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, thechristmastroy said:

How do I change the select adapter on the Advatek Lights Assistant. It shows a address that is not the 192.168.0.50

First, you maybe should have started a new thread for this question. I guess I am not sure what exactly the question is. There is a pull down in that utility that allows you to select another adaptor. There is the Refresh Adaptor, and then next to that is the Help.

If you are not seeing anything beyond the default, it means that you don't have active adaptor. The Refresh Adaptor should update the list. Please provide a bit more info so as to help.

• 9 months later...

I'm a newbie please help!!!!

i have 2 CTB16pc set up as DMX universe 1 ch 1-32 then then & 2x9 ch RGB controllers universe 1 ch 33-86. Running out of the Alphapix 4 from holidaycoro. 

My pixel garage are start from universe 2 ch1 to 400

first question: do I start a new universe for my next prop and wasted 112 channels or I can continue with that same universe because I saw the carry on option but don't know what's that mean. 

Question #2: I have lots of sequences with 32ch under LMS files, how can I convert it or combine it with the new PE files or I have to do it all over again from scratch be cause I tried to copy from SE and paste to PE that doesn't work. 

Is there any link beside the PE tutorial 1&2 from LOR website???? Thank you so much!!!

Edited by Lanpham1008

• The topic was locked