Light-O-Rama Forums

Age Limit?

shfr26

"Did your family do lights, or did you just suddenly get in to it?"

When I was little, my family had a few strings of C9s, but every year I would talk them into adding more. Chuck Smith lives in the same city as I do and ever since I was able to comprehend that the lights were animated I wanted to figure out how to do it. It took me until I was 13 or 14 until i finally realized how to go computer control. It had been my dream ever since I was little. Since then the display has now grown to over 96 channels and a network of DMX with 50,000 lights planned for this year. My dad helps with the manual labor, but this has always been my dream.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shfr26

• jimswinder

• Surfing4Dough

• George Simmons

I’m 57 with 300+ channels and growing. At this rate there will be no money left for retirement! (I wonder if they have a retirement center at the North Pole?)

DaveK wrote:

I’m 57 with 300+ channels and growing. At this rate there will be no money left for retirement! (I wonder if they have a retirement center at the North Pole?)

They probably do,

North Pole, Alaska

Jeff Millard wrote:

Does this include non-forum members? Kellen M. came to the 2009 Phi-LOR mini with his Mom. She doesn't know anything about LOR, but 7 Y.O. Kellen is a very competent LOR S-2 user with a Marty Fan that's controlled by a 16 channel LOR controller. (he's 8 now...) Does he win the youngest? He'd be thrilled to be recognized for anything related to our hobby...

J

PS This thread reminds me, I have to let his Mom know about Andy's upcoming mondo Webber unveiling and pool party...

At 8, I'd say he wins, and we all better look out in the next years cause he will make us all look like we are noobs! Way to go Kellen!!:D

just beats my son, he is now 8 going on 9 but he does about half of the sequences and this past february he helped me put two controllers together, now he is designing a "shooting start effect" not sure what that means but he has an area in our basement that I can not see! This hobby makes for some valuable father son time for us!

Greg wrote:

just beats my son, he is now 8 going on 9 but he does about half of the sequences and this past february he helped me put two controllers together, now he is designing a "shooting start effect" not sure what that means but he has an area in our basement that I can not see! This hobby makes for some valuable father son time for us!

Looks like we have another one to watch out for. You can't ask for better quality time then to do things with your young ones. My youngest turns 28 today, he helps put up the lights and my 8 y/o granddaughter picks the songs and tells me how the display should look. Hope I can get her to start doing some of the sequencing soon.:D

The first LOR unit I purchased my 16 year old son and I built. He took it to school and showed it off to his science teacher and showed him the programming he was working on and explained to him that it would all be on display for the 2007 Christmas.

His teacher gave him an A for his project. It has been a lot of fun having my sons help me with this.

So far looks like 8 y/o for the youngest and 67 y/o for the oldest. If they get much younger , might have to go to the store and get some Huggies Pull up diapers!:)

shfr26 wrote:

If they get much younger , might have to go to the store and get some Huggies Pull up diapers!:)

or much older... :shock:

jimswinder wrote:

shfr26 wrote:
If they get much younger , might have to go to the store and get some Huggies Pull up diapers!:)

or much older... :shock:

For some reason I knew that was coming.

shfr26 wrote:

For some reason I knew that was coming.

lol...

and it comes faster than you think... :)

at least you won't have to move when you get there...

Jeff Millard wrote:

The dog's looking at me like something's wrong.

of course he is...he knows the benefits of LED's...and he's just a DOG!!! :)

DanCampbell wrote:

62 according to Wii Fit.

Stupid Wii fit.

I've gotta agree with Jeff. One of the funniest posts I've seen - made me spit orange juice through my nose. "What's all this sticky stuff on the keyboard?" Sharon asked...

George Simmons wrote:

DanCampbell wrote:

62 according to Wii Fit.

Stupid Wii fit.

I've gotta agree with Jeff. One of the funniest posts I've seen - made me spit orange juice through my nose. "What's all this sticky stuff on the keyboard?" Sharon asked...

You guys have to stop this, my sides are killing me from laughing.

shfr26 wrote:

You guys have to stop this, my sides are killing me from laughing.

Your sides are killing you? Your sides? Try spending a half hour honking like Felix Unger while you're trying to clear OJ from your sinuses...

Jeff thinks HIS dog was traumatized - ours heard sounds his poor little pea-brain has never had to try to make sense of before...

And yes, it was pulp-free. I appreciate your concern...